Translate rejectionspeak to English

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by R., May 23, 2001.

1. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I asked for a limit increase on my Discover and was rejected "for the following reasons:

INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT LIMIT ON DISCOVER CARD"

Can anyone tell me what that means? My current limit is $6,200 and I carried a balance of $5K or more for many months last year before getting it all paid off.

Considering Chase just instantly approved me for $10K on a Platinum Shell Mastercard, a better reward card than Discover any day of the week, I may take this to a "give me what I want or close the account" call. I have too many cards now anyway, although I'd rather close Cap1 or MBNA, whoever will give me less. But I'd like to understand the stated reason first. Oh well, free TU report anyway!

2. the other

the other Well-Known Member

How long have you had your current limit with Discover? I got the same message, and the rep said that I hadn't been at my current limit long enough (I had my limit increased about 4 months earlier).

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DON'T KNOW THE EXACT ANSWER ABOUT CREDIT LIMIT EXPERIENCE, BUT...I have had DISCOVERCARD for almost five years, NO INCREASE IN THE CREDIT LINE EVER!!!

I spend >$30,000 every year...

I can "APPLY" a credit line increase...credit report will be pulled...F.I.C.O. goes down...

4. R.

R. Well-Known Member

You know, I can't even remember the details on this card. I've had it for somewhere between 2 and 3 years. CL started at $3500, then $5000, then $6500, all unsolicited. All came when I approached the old limit actually. I revolved close to the full $6500 on it for months last year. Now I have $0 balance and I can't get an increase despite having 2-3 times the income of 2-3 years ago.