Transunion Confusion

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jfpruitt, Jul 24, 2001.

1. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I got my Transunion report through Identity Guard and it says the my score is 492, well, I called TU themselves and they give me a score of 602!!!! That is WAY WAY off. Also, I have 35 inquiries on my account. When I called TU to dispute, they told me that you Can't dispute inquiries. Isn't this against the law or something?? I hate TU they are no where near the quality of EQ or EX......

2. jfpruitt

Can anyone help me here?

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone really can add anything to this. Yes, Identity Guard sucks and gives you a score unrelated to anything but phases of the moon, and yes, Trans Union has always refused to allow inquries to be disputed.

4. jfpruitt

Well, I was thinking that they did..that is totally ridiculous...that should be illegal!!

5. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

The standard answer you will get from TU is that creditors may request your credit profile for "permissable" purposes. When discussing this with them, they seem to maintain that any sort of inquiry can be defined as "permissable" from a collection agency trying to track you to a review of your profile for an offer of "preapproved" credit.

They will generally hold to this line, and tell you that you have to contact the creditor about the inquiry. I have found that to be very effective, simply by writing the creditor and insisting they provide me a copy of a signed application for any inquiry that is showing. Out of 12 inquiries I managed to have the various creditors remove 7.

I imagine if you chose to fight TU regarding this, it would come down to a judge's interpetation of "permissable". I would try with the creditors to see what happens first.