TransUnion Consumer Credit Score

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Jul 5, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I just ordered my TransUnion Credit Score, and it was scored at 633 points. Here are the following reasons my score wasn't higher.

Factor 1: Length of revolving accounts have been established is too short: Longer credit histories provide more payment behavior information. Continuing prompt payments over a long period of time on the same accounts can improve your credit score.

Factor 2: Too many recent inquiries: Excessive inquiries have a negative impact on your credit score. Limiting the number of credit applications you complete can improve your credit score.

Factor 3: Too few retail accounts: Not enough retail account activity has a negative impact on your credit score.

As for factor one, that's understandable, but when you are 17, you can't have had credit too damn long! I've had it since June of 2000, and NEVER missed any payments. Factor 2 was caused by some smartass friends who decided they would apply for credit in my name and use my identity. I had 2 cards I got and I NEVER applied for, so I canceled them. At current, I am disputing those 2 accounts and the inquiries on ALL 3 of my credit reports. Factor 3, What the hell! I don't see how not having a retail account could break you down. Should I apply for a retail card, and if so what one? Does anyone know why not having a retail account hurts your score. I feel that a score of 633 SUCKS, especially since I have 4 credit cards on there and a loan that's always been paid on time. Let me know what ya'll think.

2. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Are you saying you just viewed your TU score online?

3. matty61184

No, I had to pay the 8 bucks to TransUnion, and they mailed the report out to me for the purpose of "confidentiality." You then have the option of disputing things on your report online, over the phone, or through the mail.

4. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Got it. For a minute there, I thought maybe TU had come into the 21st Century.

Dang! Should have known.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: TransUnion Consumer Credit Scor

Statistics buddy, not logic. If FICO's research shows people w/o one are more likely to be delinquent, then that's all that matters.

Yes. Macy's.

They're much more lenient than others. If Macy's won't approve you, no one would. Initial limit for me was set to $100, but 7 months later it's $1,000, so they're also lenient on increases.

https://customerservice.macys.com/MacysApp/index.jsp?pageStr=apply

Saar

6. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Matty, I believe the reason your score isn't 100 points higher is because you've only had credit for one year. In fact, the average age of your accounts is LESS than one year. Credit longevity is a huge factor, and brand new credit drags down your score ferociously. Another factor is that all your inquiries happened during the past year (the legitimate ones as well as the ones your friends incurred -- remember that the computer doesn't know which are which, so all are counted). As your inquiries age, and as the average age of your accounts get older, you'll find your score increase quickly. If you keep your payments current at the ripe young age of 17, and keep on keepin' on, you'll probably have a score in the low 700s by the time you're 19. If you don't do anything stupid between now and the time you turn 30, you may well have a score in the high 700s or better.

Randy

7. matty61184

I'd prefer to get like a gas card or something. What one would you recommend. With the Macy's card, I only think you can use it with their store, and here in corn state Iowa, we don't have one.

8. Saar

Saar Banned

They said a "retail card". On the FTC-FICO conference, they said a "dept store card". I doubt a gas card would qualify in any of these categories.

You don't have to have a Macy's near you to enjoy the Van Heusen shirts clearance on their web site. I know *I* didn't :)

Saar

9. matty61184

I would assume the Target card would do also, correct? If I get that and use it, I would have a so called "retail" card, correct?