TransUnion wants BK Papers

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Sue, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

Hi, this is my first post. i disputed several items with TransUnion last week. Some were duplicates and some were accounts that were included on my BK in 98. I recieved a letter from them today instructing me to mail in my BK papers showing my list of creditors so they could update my report. Isn't it the creditors responsibility to verify a dispute? I don't mind sending in the paperwork but not sure I want them to see my whole list of creditors because the majority of them are not listed on my credit report. Have they requested this from anyone else? I have similar disputes with Experian and Equifax and neither of them have requested that I mail any paperwork in.

Thanks,
    Sue

2. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

It is the CRA's responsibility to verify with the creditor. TU is being lazy. They are in essence trying to get you to do your own reverification.

I would send them a letter stating under the FCRA they are legally supposed to verify with the creditor. Actually I would prefer to tell them to go scratch themselves. LOL Do not send in your BK paperwork! Chances are those other accounts will re-appear on your file.

Just my 2 cents.

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Right! Never send them anything like that, that has other accounts and stuff on it.

Tell them you charge by the hour for verifying entries on your report, LOL.

breeze

4. loni

loni Member

What ever you do DO NOT send them your BK discharge papers. i did that a few years ago, because I was tired of fighting with them to get them to change the notation of 'charged off' to 'included in BK'. They totally messed it up and even had the few good accounts that I did have at the time to show that they wre also included in BK!! Make them do the work.

5. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

They asked me the same thing after my last episode with the charge-off mistakenly being classified as BK.

They said they wanted to correct any other mistakes. I wrote back telling them everything looked good and not to worry about it.

Breeze is right, let them verify - not you.

Tom

6. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

By the way, I have some accounts that are listed as: "acct charged off/incl in BK". Is this hurting me? Should I fight with them to have the "charge-off" part removed or does it not matter since it also says "incl in BK".

I've always assumed this is OK but I just want to be sure.

Tom

7. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Tom,

If it were me, if it was included in BK, I would want the account classified correctly. If you ever go for a loan, the account could be questioned by the lender. In my experience lenders get anal when they see things like this. They might ask you "was it charged off or incl. in BK, please supply us with your schedule of creditor to verify..." If it shows incl. in BK it is much clearer. Whether it makes a difference in your score, I don't know. Beside, if you dispute it, it just might get deleted. If nothing else, if it were included on your BK and is on your schedule, I would go directly to the creditor to get it corrected.

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

TU, Experian, and Equifax employ local runners at just about every courthouse. Your BK file is public record, and anyone can request it. They're sort of being lazy, but they are asking YOU to prove your dispute.

I'd send in the stuff you want corrected, circled, and black-out everything else.

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

your file has been archived by the courts already so they can't verify "included in" bk from the courts.

What they should do is call the creditors directly and ask specifically if their account was included in your bk. After all, you could've chosen to reaffirm and not include an acct in bk.

It's also a stall tactic.

NEVER send them ammunition to use against you.

Let them do their job. Call and make sure the dispute is still going on. If not, it's a FCRA violation (they likely halted the dispute).

If they stopped verifying because they decided they wanted YOU to do the dispute for them... you can push the issue if you want.

DO NOT send a thing. NOT in any form. In any other dispute they'd say they can't accept info from you directly as evidence anyway. Double stds.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

A lot of people have reported that they have letters form credit card companies saying something like the account was opened in 1988, never late, paid as agreed, credit line is $10,000...

But the CRA has opened 1998...10x30 late...credit line $1,000...AND THEY REFUSE THE LETTER!!!!

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

good one breeze!