TU and the 30 day timer - Lying?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Phreedom, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Phreedom

Phreedom Well-Known Member

Greetings

In a earlier thread http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=363559#post363559

I said that I got a letter from TU stating that due to the receipt of additional information, the 30 day clock has been extended to 45 days. The letter was not specific as to which dispute it was referring to. So I called TU today for clarification. Keep in mind I mailed them in seperate envelopes. Here's what they told me

They received two disputes on day X. The next day, they received the third (and final) dispute. For whatever reason, either one got slowed down in the mail or stuck in their processing room, it wasn't entered the same day as the other two. BECAUSE it was processed the next day, it is considered "additional information" and thus it gives them an extra 15 days on ALL disputes.

I'm trying to find my answer in the fcra but I'm just not sure. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. four20nik

four20nik Well-Known Member

Nuh-uh!

The 15 day extensiononly applied to info received regarding the same dispute...tu's antiquated system jjust cant HANDLE different disputes within the 30 day period if they dont get them all at once.

They have NEVER extended the 30 day period when I submitted disputes on different days...they HAVE had difficulty accessing the various disputes...they couldnt give any status until the very last one was done. This is probably why you got the letter...because they knew that since another dispute was submitted, when the first 2 are done, they cannot give you an updated copy of your report and the results. They cant even SEE an updated copy until all disputes are finished. This is based on info directly from tu.

See...they tell you this because their system cant access the results from your first 2 disputes until the 3rd is done. If they cant access the results or even a current copy of your report, they cant comply with FCRA. SO...they used this as a loophole to buy more time.

However, the law only applied to extension of the 30 days when it comes to the SAME dispute and more information pertaining it...

3. four20nik

Here:

(B) Extension of period to reinvestigate. Except as provided in subparagraph (C), the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A) may be extended for not more than 15 additional days if the consumer reporting agency receives information from the consumer during that 30-day period that is relevant to the reinvestigation

Your 3rd dispute was NOT relevant to the reinvestigation of previously submitted disputes...

4. Phreedom

Nik

thanks a BUNCH for the info. It seems like a gray area but do you think I have them on a technicality yet or do I have to wait for the 30 days?

5. four20nik

Do NOT respond to this letter...

Technically, they havent violated anything yet. Wait the 30+5 from your original 2 dispute dates. THEN...if they dont finish by then, send ITS letter to them demanding deletion. That's when you let em have it regarding the info I posted above.

If you respond to the letter, they may decide THIS letter is addtional info as well...so, just sit on it and be patient.

Then hitem w/ iTS if they take longer than 30+5.

6. Phreedom

Once again Nik thanks a bunch! I reviewed my TU report today and even though they've received the disputes and have acknowledged this fact, NONE of the accounts are showing in dispute. Is this not a FCRA violation?

7. four20nik

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"IF" you dispute 3 things...send it in ONE LETTER...in ONE ENVELOPE...

I suggest you send NOTHING to them for 60-90 days after you get an answer...MOST PEOPLE just move on to the NEXT CRA...

9. Phreedom

Thanks George. A quick question though, why send nothing for 60-90 days? Thanks for your time

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

A higher chance to call your disputes FRIVOLOUS if you send something every-other week...

LET THEM RELAX...

There is still the other two CRAs...unless you only have problems with one CRA...

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I send in a letter requesting corrections (like 12 items) to a CRA...

They fixed the first 3 items on the list...and called the rest of the list...FRIVOLOUS

It was a easy list...IT WAS IN NO WAY FRIVOLOUS

OPEN AS CLOSED
    CLOSE AS OPEN
    BALANCES WRONG
    "JOINT" NOT INDIVIDUAL
    INDIVIDUAL NOT "UNKNOWN"
    PAID/NEVER LATE
    "ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CONSUMER"
    CREDIT LIMIT IS $XX,XXX

12. four20nik

When a lot of disputes are sent in at once...like Goerge says...it either results in blanket verifications or blanket deletions. My first round w/ tu got 13/15 deletions. My first round w/ eq got 10/11 deletions...or something like that.

BUT...it also backfires.

For future reference and so you dont confuse the minions, send them in one dispute...the usual number people do is around 4.

Of course, it depends on what your report looks like, etc...you kinda have to plan ahead...like a chess game.