TU Disputing Inquiries...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sm691, Jul 9, 2001.

1. sm691

sm691 Well-Known Member

HI! I have read through some of the threads that talk about disputing inquiries, and it looks like I am going to have to be a hard ass with TU. I got a letter in response to my recent letter to them that states "a credit grantor does not have to have written authorization from the consumer in order to pull a credit file, only a permissible purpose is needed. If you feel that they companies who inquired into your credit file did not have permissible purpose as outlines in the FCRA, section 604, you may wish to contact then directly concerning their reason for accessing your file. If they find that their inquiry is incorrect, they may provide us with written authorization requesting the removal of the inquiry." WTF! They are not going to get off this easy! Does anyone have a letter for this that can advise them of my intent to sue if they do not investigate?? THANKS

Shanna

2. Saar

Saar Banned

Yes, I've found disputing inquiries w/ them similar to negotiating w/ a brick wall.

Your alternatives:

1. Whatever you do, first file an online FTC complaint. The more we file against TU, the more likely the FTC will do something about it: https://rn.ftc.gov/dod/wsolcq$.startup - when asked for "Subject of Your Complaint", choose "credit reports" from the pull-down menu.

2. File a SC suit (high chance of success).

3. Contact TU's fraud unit - they seem to be more willing to delete inquiries, although it will cost you a 90-day fraud alert in your file.

3. Ask Jim - he was recently successful w/ at least one inquiry, but hasn't made a "press release" yet :)

4. Take it w/ the creditor - although that's exactly what the bureaus would want you to do.

Saar