TU: Frivolous... now what?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by connorw, Sep 22, 2003.

1. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

Last month I received my TU credit report. I went online and disputed the items, 6 or less. I was left with 2 when they were donw with their investigation.

On the 12th of this month I sent TU a letter dated the 11th:

This letter is a formal request for the description of the procedures used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the disputed information, including the business name, address and telephone number of any furnisher o finformation contacted ti connection with this reinvestigation.

CA1/acc#
    CA2/acc#

As already stated, the items are inaccurate and incomplete, and is a very serious error in reporting. Please supply a corrected profile to all creditors who have received a copy within the last 6 months, or the last 2 years for employment purrposes.

The following items were deleted with no explanation as to why theye were deleted. Please provide explanations as to why each of the items below were deleted,

OC/acc#
    NCO/acc#
    NCO/acc#

Additionally, please provide the name, address, and telephone number of each credit grantor or other subscriber.

This is what I just got in the mail today:

Thank you for contacting Transunion. Our goal is to maintain complete and accurate information on your credit report. therefore, under the Fair Credit reporting Act, we consider this dispute fribolous and we will not reinvestigate the item(s) unless you can provide court papers or a recent, authentic letter from the creditor(s) that explains what information should be updated.

If you disagree with the results of your disputem you may add a consumer statement of 100 words or less to your credit report or you may contact the creditor directly. The names and addresses are listed below:

CA1
    acc#
    address
    800#

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact Transunion at the address below, or visit us on the web... yada yada yada.

[end page 1 of 5]

Page 2 on next post...

2. connorw

Page 2 of TU

September 18, 2003

connorw
    my street
    my city, stae, zip

Thank you for contacting Transunion. Our goal is to maintain complete and accurate information on your credit report. We have provided the information below in response to your request.

Re: General Policy

Thansunion's procedure for investigating disputed information is to ocntact, by mail or telephone, the source of the information. Each source is advised of your dispute and is requested to verify the accuracy and/or completeness of the information reported.

Once the verification responses are received, the disputed information is updated accordingly. Changes are reflected on the updated credit report that is sent to you at the conclusion of our investigation. If you have any questions regarding the results of the investigation, please contact the creditor(s) directly.

Re: Policy for Reporting Credit Information

Transunion stores information which is supplied by creditors who subscribe to our services, and Transunion has certified the accuracy of their information. Creditors usually report account information to us through computer tapes. New accounts may take four to six months from the opening date to appear on a credit report. We do not add checking or savings account information to our computer files.

if you would like a specific creditor to report account information to TransUnion, you may wish to contact them directly. If the creditor is a member of our service, you can request that this creditor voluntarily report the acount information to us.

[end page 2]

Page 3 just has their standar "If you have additional questions...."

Page 4 Lists the names and addresses/phone #'s of the two CAs left and 3 inquiries

Page 5, same as page 3.

Continued:

3. connorw

Continued:

Ok, so they refused to reinvestigate and said it was frivolous. At least they didn't say I was using a CRO :)

They reponded to the request for specific information on the investigation procedures with general BS.

And they suplied the requested creditors/grantors/ect names, addresses, and phone numbers.

They didn't tell me why the three items from the previous investigation had been deleted as I requested. And this really was the MAIN reason for my letter.

Now for the questions:

1) Do I send another letter requetsing the reasons why the three items were deleted? I assume I have a right to know more about my investigation other than [Deleted]. I'm of the mind that I should send a letter asking for this, and only this information, more or less ignoring the letter I got from them except to say "Thank you for your prompt repsonse." ... which it was, they got the letter last Wednesday, the 17th.

2) Do I once more send a letter asking for specific information like date, time, method, etc that was used in the validation process on the two remaining CA's? I have validation letters that have arrived at both, so I'm willing to let sleeping dogs lay for now. Unless of course this is a dumb move on my part.

As part of 2 above, since I have validation letters in, I'm leaning towards letting TransUnion be on these two as far as investigations go until I don't hear back from the two CA's or the matter ha sworked it's course. I'm assuming that I won't hear back from them :) Since to my knowledge I've never been contacted by them.

Any thoughts?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TRANS UNION IS FRIVOLOUS

5. connorw

Hehe George. I'm begining to agree with you :)

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Were the 3 items you requested specific info on negative items that you disputed?

7. connorw

LKH - Yes. Originally I disputed online. Three items were "deleted" per the results of TU's investigation of my dispute. No reason for their deletion was noted on anything I received from TU.

other general strangeness of the deleted OC:

In a phone conversation with a TU rep I was told that the OC could not validate and asked for it to be removed. Since the OC is the basis of one of the "verified" CA's (and most likely the other "verified" CA) I'm real interested to know exactly why the OC was deleted.

The OC was Cingular (Bellsouth wireless/mobility) when I had an account with them. One of the CA's even says "Cingular" as the origin of the collection. The last amount on the Cingular entry was the same as the start amount for the CA. Even stranger is that it shows charged off 12/99, but I didn't close my account with them until late Jan or early Feb of 2000. On something else I have (maybe my tri-merge from the mortgage I tried to get) it shows last date of activity being 4/2000, which was the last bill I received from them and then sent in a money order to pay in full.

I sent Cingular a CRRR asking for clarification as TU didn't put any reason for the deletion, but a phone rep said that Cingular was unable to validate.

I've also got a validation into the CA that's posting Cingular. If I can get a resonse back from Cingular that they can't validate I'll go from there with them and the CA.

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I can tell you that in most cases, when a derogatory acct is disputed and deleted, it is because they never responded to the dispute.

Don't believe anything a cra rep says. If they put it in writing, that is a different story.

I wouldn't push the fact that they have the wrong dola as it is to your benefit.

It sounds like you are saying you paid Cingular directly before it was sent to collection. Is this correct?

9. connorw

It was deleted before 30 days were up. I disputed 8/20, letter dated 8/27 lists the results of the dispute. Pretty fast, and much less than the 30 days. SO I have to assume that there was an ansewr that resulted in the deletion.

I don't. Which is why I wrote them asking for the reasons for deletion. I did however record the conversation where the TU rep said it was because Cingular could not validate. I even have a recorder setup for my cell phone so I can record thm if I have to call during the day. If I have to talk to a CA or CRA rep I record it, period

I'm not pushing anything with Cingular, especially any errors on their part right now. All I've asked them for was a clarification on what TU and it's reps were saying. Sent that CRRR.

Yep. I paid Cingular (then BellSouth Mobility) via money order in late April of 2000. I didn't send it certified or anything, just wrote "BellSouth Mobility" on the money order, my account number and sent it it. I checked the status of the money order online, and it showed paid. I never heard anything from BellSouth (now Cingular) again. I always assumed that they had gotten payment and everything was OK. of course money order tracking info, etc is only good for 1 year, after that "Too bad, Charlie."