TU inquiry disputes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Pat, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Good point Bkev, this smells like a job for "class action lawsuitguy". Easy money for some agressive lawyer and a few willing Creditneters.

What about Greg's question...did the response say anything about a frivolous dispute? I mean they should be responsible for verifying that all information contained in the report is accurate.

-Peace, Dave

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

No they didn't. All they sent me was the letter at the top of this post and the one below. Which is kind of funny because they talk about how they verify disputes, which they obviously didn't do in this case.

Dear Consumer:

Trans Union's procedure for investigating disputed information is to contact, by mail or electronic means, the source of the information. Each source is advised of your dispute and any other relevant information you provide, and is requested to verify the accuracy and/or completeness of the information reported.

Once the verification responses are received, the disputed information is updated accordingly. Any changes made are reflected on the updated credit file that is sent to you at the conclusion of our investigation. If you have any questions regarding the results of the investigation, please contact the creditor(s) directly.

(Creditor addresses and phone numbers)

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Ok, I think this is an end to my story of the one inquiry. I got an email from Identity Guard in response to my gripe email about the hard inquiry. They told me that all their inquiries should be soft. I called an spoke to customer service (800-214-4791) and proceeded to argue my case with Mark. After about 5 minutes of getting nowhere, we brought a supervisor into the mix and Mark got a little education. He told me to fax the inquiry page and he would take care of it. Amazing :)

4. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

When is the 30 days up?

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

December 4th.

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Thats great Pat, I hope they stick to their word.

-Peace, Dave

7. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

Pat:

What is Identity Guard?

I know some people have inquired about some credit monitoring companies...is this one?

Costs? Good/bad/indifferent?

tia

DB :)

8. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Nave,
    Thanks, I'll let you know the outcome, but I can assure you that unless they want a new favorite "squeaky wheel", they'll follow through :)

DB,
    Identity Guard is a TransUnion monitoring company. I think they pretty much suck, in fact I'm cancelling this month. Check out this post:
    http://consumers.creditnet.com/stra...id=104842&highlight=Identity+Guard#post104842

And let me know if you have any other questions.

9. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my .02 here - I received the same letter, and called them.They were very nasty, and insisted that they do not delete inquiries, period. Never, can't be done. I went home, disputed them online, and they were all gone within a week. I just ignored their letter and kept trying until I got what I wanted!! Persistence- I think I learned some of that here!

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY SAYS CONTACT THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY!
    THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY SAYS CONTACT THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY!

***YOU LOSE***

11. OtherTerri

Actually George, I got to be on a 3-way call with both of them!!!

The rep and the supervisor at Credit Expert were clueless. When the rep from Cap One asked for the merchant # of Credit Expert, the supervisor put us on hold and said no one there had ever heard of such a thing!!

The rep from Cap One was very knowledgeable and helpful, but you are right, I still lost! :(

12. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Terri,

What way did you dispute the inquiries?
    No permissable purpose - delete?
    Never applied for credit - delete?

I'm curious and about to try again.

13. donna8284

donna8284 Well-Known Member

I don't know what TU is doing but they have deleted every inquiry on my report!!!

I've had great luck til now (I'm not sure how good/bad this is?)

I disputed 4 on 10/31 using Bkevs method and all removed by 11/3

I disputed 4 more on 11/6 same way and all removed same day

I disputed 2 more on 11/7 same way and when I checked today they were gone plus 3 I didn't dispute at all they even deleted 5 entries of TU consumer disclosure. so the only thing I have on there now is 4 TU disclosures........

14. OtherTerri

I usd both of the options you mentioned. Most of them were from finance companies I had never heard of. When we were shopping for a car last year, our credit was pulled many times without our knowledge. Two months after we bought our car we were still receiving denials in the mail !

I think I made a statement similar to what I just told you in the comments. These were definitely unauthorized!!!!

Of course, this happened before I discovered Creditnet!!!! It won't happen again!

Good luck Pat. I hope you are successful.

15. OtherTerri

Pat, I think instead of "never applied for credit" I said "I do not have an account with this company."

16. informed

informed Well-Known Member

i disputed my tu report and that was 5 days ago...today i gotta letter saying,,,,that this will acknowledge my recent cresspondence...it said that based on the id i provided the info i am diputing is not currently on my file....well i tried the BKEV way......ya know the one where u place the inqiury date as the account number......TY still BKEV...but it dint work 4 me.

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

once more, in english this time?

Guess what people... "THIS BOARD IS BEING WATCHED". The most popular thread in the last six months. It seems the "BKEV" method worked for many of you. It also seems that it may not have worked for some of you and that it has diminshing results now that it has been so popularly spread around.

Look at it this way... You didn't pay me $35 to try it! :) Good day!

18. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

IT WORKED FOR ME!!!! Hubby has had a total of 22 removed from his, I fax every other day!

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Interesting bit of history

Kruschev banged his shoe on the table exactly 10 times at the UN General Assembly and claimed he invented the United Nations and didn't need no steenking foreign aid to do it either.

Go figure.

20. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Well try #2 failed as well, I disputed the same inquiries, I got a different letter this time though.

{Letter from TU in Italics}
    Dear Consumer:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding inquiries

I thought I disputed them as No Permissable Purpose, I suppose that's correspondence :)

Under law, we are required to keep a record of inquiries for a minimum of two (2) years if related to employment and for one (1) year if not employment related. It is Trans Union's policy to keep a record of all inquiries for a period of two (2) years.
    I find this interesting. If they are only required by law to keep inquiries for one year, why do they keep them for two?

Inquiries can only be recorded on a credit report when an inquiry is, in fact, made
    No Sh*t! But if there is no Permissable purpose for the inquiry, it should, in fact, BE DELETED!

Consumer disclosure inquiries are not displayed to anyone inquiring on the credit file; They can only be viewed by you and Trans Union.
    Well thanks for the education, but what about my dispute? Is this my answer? How come the last dispute of the same inquiries was verified and this time they are a matter of fact.

Sorry, I needed to do some venting :)