TU score 828 & inquiries & more

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Friday, I called Trans Union to do my first ever telephone dispute with TU. I called the 800# listed on their website and got an automated system. The robot voice instructed me to say or punch in the first 9 digits of my TU report confirmation number. Lessons learned:

1. Apparently no confirmation number - no response.

2. The automated system could not comprehend my voice when I read off the 9 characters and ended the telephone call.

3. I called back and punched in the 9 characters. I was immediately connected to a rep.

4. The confirmation number I used was old. Actually from January 2001,when Junum knocked 4 of my 6 negative bad accounts off in round 1 of disputing. During Junum rounds 2 & 3, I never received a TU report. Just an immediate letter informing me that the remaining 2 items had been previously verified and would not be re-verified. BTW my 2 negatives are Chap 7 BK discharged accounts. The BK never made it into the public record.

The polite rep. took my dispute over the phone. I am disputing a good but old tradeline that shows as "unrated". I requested that it be updated to "Paid, never late". The rep. reminded me that TU has up to 30 days to verify information. He also said that he would forward a report to me after the investigation.

I asked if TU has anything similar to Experian's "Creditexpert". I was told no - not at this time. However, I can have my score at no charge and without a "hard inquiry".

He told me my score is 828. I asked what percentile of consumers have a lower score than me. The rep said that he did not know.

828 with 2 negatives from 1998 sounds pretty good but remember:

TU grades on a scale from 150 to 950. EX and EQ have a maximum score in the 800's. So an 828 from TU is not as good as an 828 from EX or EQ.

Now the interesting part. I only have one (1) inquiry on TU.

I recently reported that I cleaned my EX report of negative accounts, but prior to cleansing "Credit expert" showed 3 negative BK discharged accounts and TWELVE (12) inquiries. TEN (10) of them within the last 6 months. Based on this info, my Creitexpert score has been fluctuating around 670. When I hypothetically removed the 12 inquiries via the credit simulator available on "Creditexpert" my score jumped to around 750.

My conclusion - "hard inquiries" are just murderous on your credit score. I remember that Lizard and others here have noted the same effect when playing with the credit simulator.

I just wish I knew what my 828 TU score really means. Does anyone have any idea??

Also, I am going to do a search here on the board regarding TU. Despite what the rep. said, I thought TU had set up something similar to Creditexpert.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jim

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Trans Union Corporation
    1561 E Orangethorpe Ave
    Fullerton, CA 92831-5217
    Phone: 714-940-4200

NEAR 91/HARBOR BLVD

I USED TO BE ABLE TO WALK INTO THE BUILDING AND GET A REPORT...PAY MONEY SHOW DRIVER'S LICENSE AND WALK OUT WITH REPORT...OR IF YOU HAD ANY QUESTIONS...WAIT FOR A REP...

IT SHOULD BE A LOCAL CALL FROM IRVINE CALL AND ASK IF THEY STILL LET YOU COME IN AND DISCUSS FACE~TO~FACE...

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

OR MAIL A LETTER TO THAT OFFICE ABOUT SCORING SYSTEM IF THAT IS YOUR ONLY PROBLEM RIGHT NOW...

GOOD LUCK

4. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I also had the pleasure of talking to TU today with respect to some online disputes. What a difference from Experien. My rep was so helpful and nice to talk to. I didn't ask for my score, though. It didn't occur to me that I could get it by phone.

The bottom line for me was that they

#1, answered the call without my having to repeatedly dial for three hours, like Experien, and ...

#2, they willingly supplied me with a fax number (verified that marci's(?) number here was correct) where I was able to fax letters from creditors authorizing removal of erroneous negative information.

TWO thumbs up for TU!

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks GEORGE!!!

I just printed out your 2 posts. The rep. gave me a fax number to use in case I want to dispute anything else but...

You are right. TU is very close and I will contact them about dealing directly at their Fullerton address.

If no-one on the board knows what a 828 TU score really means. I am going to ask a mortgage broker. A friend just suggested this to me.

Best regards - Jim

P.S. I hope you knock the heck out of Nextcard with a letter, sent straight to the top, demanding a change in terms.

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Jim - wow! That is great. Congrats. I have no idea what my TU score is but I'm sure it's not very good. My Experian score has gone up 8 pts. since June 23rd. I may get my equifax today, but I'm sure that stinks as well. Anyways, that is great for you. Oh, I took your letter to Experian, changed and added a few things, and it is on its' way. I listed every disputed account that they claim to have verified, and asked for the name, title, date, phone number etc. of the people that they claim to have verified these. I also told them if they could not provide me valid info within 15 days, that they must delete those items. I'll let you know what happens.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Mist,

I am happy that you had a good experience with TU. I just loathe the Experian reps. They are crafty and I could go on and on...

I did forget to mention one other thing the TU rep and I discussed.

I asked him not to be insulted, but there are rumors that sometimes TU deletes items when consumers just request an update. A la Saar and Cap One. Naturally, I did not mention where the rumors came from but I made it clear that I am requesting a simple update of the account not DELETION. The rep was polite in response to my comments but we'll see what happens. LOL.

If I get a DELETION ( it really should not happen); I'll have to look up Saar's threads on reinsertion after a "hard delete".

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey LKH!!

Hope everything works out for you.

Keeping a sense of humor here, isn't it amazing that hand writing a letter that shows no knowledge of the FCRA or indeed any particular knowledge at all my be just what it takes to get Experian to do something.

However, your situation is so much more involved than mine. Try your legal threats letter next. I thought it was a good one.

You might want to check out the TU website about that free credit score. I never did, but it might be worthwhile for you as I don't believe you are in a position to telephone a dispute into TU, since Junum and Lex are both disputing for you right now.

9. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Jim,
    Thanks for the information abou TU. I will call them to get my score after I get the next round of Junum results back. This MAY be my last round with them as they are cleaning my reports with elbow grease. Congrats on the 828. If Ex is your best report, you must be close to squeaky clean also having an 828 from TU (even with their 950 scale). Thanks again for the helpful information.

-Dave

10. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Jim-

I remember reading (ages ago) that TU was providing a "consumers score" which isn't the same as the other scoring models-- so what you see isn't necessarily what the lender sees (and vice versa).

NONETHELESS, 820 still would have to be in the upper 10% or so of all scores possible... you must have a good average age of tradelines (>5 or 7 years?) and low utilization ratios.

Good for you!

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

mj,

Thanks for the comments!!

You guessed it. I have a long credit history with those 2 negative accounts counter balanced by close to 30 positive (mostly closed) accounts. I owe 3K with 26K in available revolving credit. Low utilization is right. Also, my 4 year auto loan is welll past the half way mark.

And of course - 1 inquiry.

I am just like everyone else here. My Equifax credit score is not good. I am working on it now but...
    est regards - Jim

12. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Nave,

Good to hear from you guy!!!

I was relieved to read in your Junum posts that Junum wasn't suspected of deleting good tradelines. In other words, they have performed for you without creating problems.

You already know I was very satisfied with Junum like NanaC, the Dog and others here.

If you have had 3 rounds with Junum, I agree you should call it quits. Even though they did good work for me, it still bothers me a little that I really don't know what they said on my behalf in their disputes.

Keep us updated. I read every post of yours.

Best regards - Jim

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Spoke to a mrtgage broker this morning. He informed me that a TU 828 score is a very high score.

I plan to purchase another home in 18 months. TU is OK. Experian is OK except for inquiries although one dropped off yesterday.

Equifax - another matter.

You guys keep us posted on Bradley-Ross and Lexington. LOL

Jim

14. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I have had the opposite results. I can't talk to anyone at Trans Union. They have a local affiliate who handles everything. Of course they are only open while I am working.

I can call Experian and talk to someone any time I have tried. They have always been helpful.

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

the other,

Sorry to hear that about TU. It just goes to show that what works for one of us on the board may not for another.

I am busy working on my Equifax report. When I called EQ yesterday on 3 different 800 numbers that EQ gave out, I finally got a rep on the telephone.

I wanted to know why I was unable to do an on-line dispute since the EQ website started letting me dispute - then cut me off twice. Both the rep and his supervisor told me that EQ only accepts written disputes. No telephone or on-line disputes.

At no time did I feel that the EQ employees were being malicious. they were just unknowledgeable.

Experian reps are really crafty. Some of their comments to me and others on the board have been very inappropriate. But if you have not had this experience - congratulations!

Best regards - Jim

16. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I'd amend that last sentence to - "if you have not had this experience YOU WILL!"

Experien twice verified something that could not in a million years be correct. I got the second notice with a condescending notation for a double 30 day delinquency for the SAME MONTH. I also requested my own verification for the items from the creditor who has yet to provide me with that verification and is now down to having just a couple of days left to provide it. First I called the creditor and they couldn't find the account # and referred me to another dept. who also could not immediately find it. I sent via fax and us mail request for verification. A few days ago I sent notice that by certain date they must produce verification records or remove delinquencies.

17. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

What Mist said here has been reported before regarding Experian. I am sorry to hear that Mist has joined a long line of people who have had problems with EX.

I myself have no need to speak directly to EX any more. Thank goodness. I really believe their reps have been trained to ask very leading questions that will trap us as consumers into saying something that may be held against us.

If anyone has to speak to their reps - be careful and control the conversation. You ask the questions. The EX rep answers them.

Not the other way around.