U.S. charge scam.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Russ, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Russ

Russ Guest

I'm new here...I want to warn people about an e-mail I received from US charge. They give and 800 # to call and say you are guaranteed $5000.00 credit card. they asked for my social cecurity # but wouldnt tell me what they were until I asked like 5 times! She tried to ask me what bank I use...probably wanting access to my account. Besides this..there was music blaring in the background so loud I could barely here this person. What professional corp allows that? I began to feel really bad vibes and as soon as I heard her say you'll receive our company charge card (not a major) just for their merchandise...I hung up. She claimed that they had deals with banks to get me an unsecured visa if I accept a card to buy their crap. Those people are very shady with the music blaring and it sounded like they didnt know there ass from their elbow! I guess I was prey because I messed up my credit and am trying to get a card so I can redeem myself! I have a nextcard with 1000.00 in debt and two cap 1 cards with 200.00 lines each and both maxed and way past due to sudden income changes. Sick of nextcard calling with lies to get me on the phone. I explain situation and next day I get the same damn call again. any advise on how to save my credit and work something out? Thank and this board is very helpful, I've learned alot of information about finances I never knew before! Thanks.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Duh!

The same old no visa/mastercard logo and no bank affiliation scam.

You need to call up all your creditors, offer them a reasonable payment plan, close your accounts, and make good on your words! If you don't you're fixing to get a charge off which will haunt for you 7+ years of bad credit. Do the right thing, call them, face your problems, and pay them what you can. TRUST US , you don't want the 7 year bad credit fever! it sucks more than you'll ever imagine.

3. river

river Well-Known Member

Well,I would suggest that you hang around the board for awhile and see if you can get any helpful info to help you keep what little bit of credit building cards you have from going into default.It would seem like the creditors would have some kind of hardship program to help you maintain til you get income back on track.The worst thing you can do is avoid them.Call and ask about hardship program and see if they can freeze the interest for short period of time or lower the Apr til things look-up.Good luck and keep positive attitude about your situation.If there's a will,there's a way.

4. Russ

Russ Guest

thanks, you're right and I will get on that! Appreciate the help.

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: Sam's right

It's still not too late. If there's any way possible, begin sending payments...however small...and start getting back on track.

From the situation you've described, there really isn't too much debt. Obviously, you don't want the bills to continue getting larger. Talk with each of your creditors and see what you can work out.

Believe me! You don't want a charge off on your credit reports. I have one...and even though it's now paid...that confounded thing is going to plague me for the next five years! And don't count on being able to get the bad mark off of your credit reports because it's not that easy. I've tried and Experian and Equifax won't budge!

I have a lot of empathy for you and your situation. Many of us here have been where you are and we want you to learn from our mistakes. If there is any way possible, devise a plan and start salvaging your credit.

Donna

6. Russ

Russ Guest

Re: thanks Donna

the feeling of the interest rates never allowing you to catch the debt is what is the worst! nextcard would only allow a 97.00 payment to get out of collections. they should be willing to accept whatever you can give them no? should I talk to supervisors?

7. river

river Well-Known Member

It might help to talk to someone in retention dept.Call and ask for retention # or get transfer. You might have a better chance of talking to someone who is sympathic to your situation.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

My best advice would be to get a supervisor. If you're not making any headway with the person you have on the phone, politely ask to speak with someone higher. Then, if you're comfortable and have established a good relationship, get that employee's name and number. That way, you'll have someone who is familiar with your case to continue to work with.

Then, once you and the creditor reach an agreement, make sure to follow through. That's really important. Most companies will work with you, if they believe you're honest and they can see that you're trying.

Anyway, I did this with a delinquent account once and it worked pretty well. I found a supervisor I liked, worked out an arrangement, got their name and number, kept the agreement and everything was resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Good luck, hang in there and keep us posted.

Donna

9. Russ

Russ Guest

i will thank you kindly all!