Unable to verify a debt/ locate a debt. Please help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Yanzi, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Yanzi

Yanzi New Member

In 2007, I had a $800 credit card that was sent to collections. I've been working on repairing my credit for over a year now, but have had no luck with locating the debt. It was sold 3 times. The last collection agency hasn't responded to me. I recently got contacted by another collection company saying that I owed them $2752 for this debt. The only validation they will give me is the amount owed and original creditor name. How did they come to this total? How can I be sure they they do own the debt at this time? I do want to resolve this because I plan on buying a home within 6 months. They said they won't report on my credit report so long as I pay the settlement on $500 by July 13th. I don't even know how to dispute the infoation if they haven't reported anything yet. I've already sent out a validation letter via registered mail. I also saved the letter they initially sent which was threatening legal action, loss of license, and wage garnishment. Delaware has a statute of limitations of 3 years. I want to pay if I owe them but how can I be sure the own the debt without a listing on my report, unable to back track through past collectors, and no validation except an account number that the original creditor won't verify for me? Please help!!

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Sending out a DV letter was the right move. Now wait and see how they respond. Has this debt been sold by the OC or transferred for collection?