unable to verify residence

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the other, Apr 26, 2001.

1. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Discover declined my fiance. The letter says "Unable to verify residence" They never called him or anything.

What should we do? We moved in October, so the address on his DL is the old one. We were told he would get a new one with the new address when we renewed our licenses. All the utilities are in my name (he lives with me).

2. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Have him go to DMV and update his address.He should be able to get a state ID with the new address and maybe pay for a new d/l w/ the correct address,depending on what state.Then send copies to all 3 CRAs and discover.Once they make the credit file,call CRAs and have new corrected file sent to discover for free.

vj

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

if they need a utility bill you can call your phone company and add him on the account. presto: additional address verification

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

He should have updated his address on the DL anyway when he moved. That is the law.

5. the other

His DL is updated with the DMV. They just don't issue a new one with the address printed on it until renewal time.

6. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Follow the law

Most states demand that you change your drivers license within 10 to 20 days or so after you move.

Doesn't yours?

7. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Exception- If he misplaces his d/l or it is destroyed ,He must report it and it would then be replaced at nominal charge with updated address and either replaced at DMV immediatly or mailed to new address.

8. the other

Re: Follow the law

I will state again, we have notified the DMV of our new address and hand written the new address on the back of our DLs in the area provided. The DMV will re-issue our licenses with the correct address pre-printed when it is time for renewal. For me, that time is 8/2004. I'd have to check my finace's DL to get his date.

So yes, we have followed the law.

9. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

What State do you live in?

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

If you dont know how to get ID with adequate address, why get a credit card?

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but this seems too simple for discussion.

roni

11. the other

vj-

We live in NY. They will replace our licenses for $8 each. The DMVs web page says it will take 4-6 weeks after they receive the form for the request.

We didn't pay extra when we changed the address, because we didn't want to flush $16 down the drain for no reason.

I have had no trouble obtaining credit since we moved. I didn't have to send anything to the CRAs to update my address. My fiance had no trouble with MBNA either (card is on its way), just Discover. I was wondering if they might possibly accept a bank statement or something with his address on it.

12. am

am Guest

that's how Arizona was (is?) you literally just wrote it in....how about having someone sign a statement--have it notarized--and send it in. First, I would call and find out what they would like to see and what you could do......

AnnMarie

13. the other

Jeez, I've been on this board for a long time. I ask a question, and instead of answering, eveyone assumes I am breaking the law. Even after I said we followed procedure, people were still accusing me of not following the law. (except vj, this isn't directed toward you)

I'm beginning to feel like the rest of the people who left the board...

14. the other

That wasn't directed at you either AnnMarie. (You posted while I was typing) :)

15. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Oh please. You are tripping. Plenty of banks are asking for verification. Macy's did it to me and I didnot make a big deal out of it.

And no one treated you like SOME people have been treated here.

And have you forgotten, that NY state also offers ID cards that can be gotten without a wait, at any DMV location.

NY resident for 2 years.
    roni

and i really hope you figure it all out.

16. the other

Web page says non-driver id card is $6 and a 4-6 week wait.

NY resident my whole life.

My question never had anything to do with getting an updated dl. I was trying to find out what else could be used to prove his address.

Thanks am and vj for your constructive input.
    Roni, I don't know what's up your butt, but it ain't pretty.

17. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Thanks
    The one I try and remember is no fighting unless your holding hands.
    GO to NY DMV ,Change registration address on car,get new updated registration with new address

Next,Pay the $8.00 they will give him a temporary D/L to use untill new one arrives.Photocopy registration, temp D/L,and old D/L with picture to CRA
    and be done with it. Good luck and Good night.

vj

18. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

the other -- although the utilities are in your name, is there a "simple" one that can be easily switched? Water company, trash collector? Maybe he could open a bank account or a Schwab-type account via the Internet and then use the postmarked mail they send him as proof? As a last resort, you could go to OfficeMax etc and get one of those fill-in the blanks leases and put his name down as the renter and you as the landlord. (They have them on disk too so you can do it in your word processor)

"Most states demand that you change your drivers license within 10 to 20 days or so after you move."

But some states don't require it. Case in point, when I moved from Texas, I didn't change my DL or my state ID card--and Texas doesn't care. In fact, when my DL came up for renewal last year, I called DPS in Austin and they mailed me the Out of State Renewal packet. They sent my renewed DL *without* my picture a few weeks later--and they even printed my out of state address on it too. They do it for anyone, you don't have to be military or G W Bush.

19. roni

roni Well-Known Member

You know what, I reread your ORIGINAL POST and you did ask about your DL.

That is why everyone responded about your boyfriends DL.

Since you have decided to make my BUTT your concern, I will avoid you like the pledge.

AND although you tried to diss my NY ID idea. I will still help you.

Macy took a bank statement for ID.

Did you even THINK to call MBNA and ask them what they would take as verification.

Even though I sent in the info to Macy's they still delayed sending me a card, so I called them, the lady verified the info after keeping me on hold a while and then approved the application.

Sorry, I am not a passive person. I usually make an attempt to figure somethings out on my own.

I dont need your funky comments when I am taking the time to help YOUR problems.

roni