Unathurized Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Aug 20, 2000.

  1. Jim

    Jim Well-Known Member

    My wife obtained a credit card in her name using my income (and didn't tell me).
    I have told her she will have to pay the balance. My question is , How do I get this card canceled? Or any other cards she may have that I don't know about. I would ask her to cancel, however I am pretty sure she won't.
  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    As far as I know, spouses are liable for the other's debts after the marriage-it can be a hell of a problem when a couple gets separated until they get divorced- one can run up huge debts.

    I sure as hell don't know how you can stop her from obtaining additional credit, even if you get this account closed.
  3. sph

    sph Guest

    You can call each CRA and have them add an statement to reverify with you before opening any accounts.This will prevent you from getting instant credit though!
  4. spice

    spice Guest

    You are only responsible for this debt if you are listed as joint user on the accounts. If you aren't you are not liable for any payments and you can't close the accounts. You can close them if you are listed as an authorized user, but you are still not liable for payment on the balances. Just using your income does not make you liable.

Share This Page