unauthorized garnishments?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by daviddebt, Sep 24, 2010.

1. daviddebt

daviddebt New Member

we are self employed and in the process of filing for BK
    I just logged into our bank and found that someone is emptying our accounts (including our kids savings!) and we have not received any notice of judgements. Any suggestions besides changing banks, which I will be doing tomorrow. Is there a way to fight this?
    Thanks

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

You need to post this in the credit forum where it will get more attention.

3. sandy24

sandy24 Member

Is that solved? Please let me know if anyone knows.

4. mijd

mijd Well-Known Member

Daviddebt,

In my experience only, I have found that if a person has credit with a bank or cu that they also have a checking acct or saving acct with, the creditor will take payments out of those accts if you are late. They may also freeze your accounts. Some CC agreements have provisions where the creditor can take payments out of your accts.

Check out bkforum for the type of questions your asking. I've seen questions like yours in that forum.

5. peace

peace New Member

False information.

No one can garnish your account or pay check without your written approval except the government. IRS & Federal Loans. They still inform of this in writing.

Any garnishment of wages is done by set %. You are informed of this in writing.

You have given merchants your checking account number to automatically make withdrawls.

No credit card, business or merchant can take money out of your checking account unless you have authorized this.

Think, have you given out your checking account number over the phone to pay bills. Credit card payments? Now, they have it. That's why you are being drained out.

I am not a fan of automatic withdrawl. I pay my bills the old fashioned way. I don't like anyone to have access to my account numbers.

Automatic withdrawl is not all that! Credit card companies cannot freeze your account either. No one can freeze or take your assests but the government.

Close all accounts and open new accounts. Possibly bank somewhere else.
    I'm sorry this is happening to you.