Unauthorized Inquiry

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I recently received a so called pre-approved offer from a prime card company. I filled out the application but did not sign it, or fill in my social security number. Along with the application, I enclosed a letter stating I would like to take advantage of there offer but did'nt want to add inquires to my report. I purchased a credit report on my own and enclosed it with the application stating if they could not open an account in this manner, it was fine and they should remove me from there mailing list. Today I come to find they pulled a credit report and added an inquiry anyway.
    My question is, what recourse do I have against them for pulling a report after I told them not to and not signing the application. Thank you for any help.

2. ED

ED Well-Known Member

You could try disputing the item with the CRA's but nothing's guaranteed. Just for future reference, dont try and make up your own alternative way of qualifying for a credit card, they will just laugh at you and check your credit anyways.

Did they at least qualify you for the card?

3. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Follow the rules are don't apply.

4. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

There's very little you can do. By filling out the application, even without signing it or filling in your SSN, and then sending it in you signaled a clear intent to apply for the card. Most likely the letter and the copy of your credit report were not even read, but tossed out as extraneous material when your envelope was opened.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't know of any major credit issuer that will issue you credit based on your sending a copy of your credit report. The closest I've seen is that some car dealers will be able to tell you if you could get financed and at what cost based on the report, but that they will still run a report before making a final offer. Credit reports change. Not only that, it's too easy to dummy up a credit report with a laser printer and high quality copier.