unsecuring cap 1 card? Any ide

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Feb 26, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Declined: Account too new to qualify. Account age: 1 year and 2 days to the date.

Anyone have any success on this?

0 late pays, 0 over the limit, $800+$300 limits after 1 year. $30 balance currently.

I'll probably close the account soon if they don't refund my deposit.

The card is $0 annual fee, so theres no LOSS in me letting it idle, i suppose. But i'd rather have my $99 + interest back. There is NO way i can combine this card into my gold visa, unless it has been un-secured. They can only fold my gold visa into the secured product. That sucks.

I'm focusing on my cap 1 gold ($600 woohoo) and idling my citi and this secured card. It seems when i have less limit to knowingly work with, i spend less :)

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: unsecuring cap 1 card? Any

PAY IT OFF, don't use it, see what happens after 2 or 3 months.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

yup. i will. I hope for god they didn't pull an inquiry to determine if i qualify for unsecuring. That would have pissed me off. They told me when i got the card 1 year is good enough to get your deposit back. What a lie!!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have a FIRST USA card, the 3.9% interest rate expired, so I called about extending it...THEY SAID NO. So I paid it in full plus an extra $50 or $100 to stop the interest clock.

A couple of weeks later I called and told them to close the account...make a long story short, they gave me 2.9% for six months and raised the credit line $5,000 (no inquiry).

5. Cricket

Cricket Active Member

Hi Sam,
    I just went through the same thing with my cap1 card yesterday. Earlier this month I had tried to get it unsecured, thinking it was a year old. I was told it wouldn't be a year old until 2/18/00. When I called on 2/18, the computer wouln't let them (retention dept)unsecure it. Even they were baffled. They figured I needed to call back the day after it was 12 months old. When I called back the 19th, the computer still wouldn't let retention unsecure it. They said they could do an account review to see if that would make it happen. I was told to call back in 2 days. When I called back, it had been unsecured!! I was happy!
    Two main points:
    1. The first level people don't know what they are talking about. They said it could be unsecured in 18 months. I kept pushing to be transferred to retention. They are more knowledgeable.
    2. Retention said it needs to have no lates, no over the limits, and, not have had a limit increase in 6 months.
    Keep Fighting-they should do it for you.
    Cricket

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: thanks

I guess they seem to think i'm desperate for their business. Maybe 3-4 months of $0 balance may change their mind.

no loss. I have 2 months till next credit increase, will try once all my factors fit those requirements.

thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

7. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

I already have 15 months with my secure card
    Current limit:$1100. $500/initial and two increases/$300 each. Never late, great payments.

I called 5 days ago to unsecure my card and was told that a they will send me a letter for the next week. I assume that the $99 check will come inside(?).

8. Cricket

Cricket Active Member

Geo,
    I'm sure your they will unsecure it and send you a check. They told me I should be receiving an official letter and my deposit back. I have not received it yet, though.
    Cricket

9. Larry

Larry Guest

Cap1 told me they were going to unsecure my card after 18 months. It didn't happenned; reason: I had requested a CL increase in September. They said to call back in mid-March (when 6 months are up), and they will unsecure it. Let's see what will happen this time.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I had secured MasterCard for over five years with Capital One and they refuse to unsecure the accounts. The reason was I had a couple of charge-off credit accounts in my files and too many inquiries in a year. Finally, all my charge-off accounts were come off and they returned my deposits. They turned my accounts in to unsecured. They can't get rid of the annual fees and increased the credit limits because the accounts was the secured type. I ended up to closed the account because I got better offers from the others. Probably, you will do the same thing as I did. Recently I apply for Kmart Mastercard from Capital One and got approve for 3000 and within threee months they increased credit lines to $5500 without requesting.