Update....and some thoughts....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, Oct 5, 2001.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

Hey folks--haven't been here for awhile--just thought I'd drop in and "converse"--so to speak...

After visiting this board for the first time several months ago, I was the guy who couldn't get his student loan late payments from '95 deleted, tried to refinance his 9.17 mortgage at the local Bank of America (and got refused, not once, but twice--thank-you-very-much-for-the-$68-collection-from-Sprint turndown reason), and pretty much bullyhood people for filing bankruptcy left and right.

The mortgage refinancing? Locked in a fixed at 6.5 yesterday (clap, cheer); some of the student loan late payments are still there, but not nearly as erroneous and duplicated as they were (student loan people--I've decided--are anal and frighteningly rigid--I do believe they've been assimilated by the Borg at some point); AND, after being turned down for every prime card in the book (and post credit bureau polishing) am now the proud papa of a Chase platinum and a Bank of America gold, along with a Platinum Smart Card (we'll see how Smart it is--after all, Providian's behind it)--joining the Citibank platinum I've been packing around since the college days of 1986 (well, OK--it wasn't platinum then, but it did grow up).

And look--not a Cap One or First USA in the bunch.

Still a loan officer--and, first-hand, the bankruptcies are piling up. Yes I know--sometimes people don't have a choice--been there done that when my wife did a Chapter 13 when we first got married because her ex filed a Chapter 7--simply couldn't afford to pay mine, hers, and his.

But, 13's are a RARITY. Out of the last 20 filings I've dealt with, 19 are 7's. More than one would want to believe are filing for the 2nd time (that one really leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

The one that sticks out the most is a guy who's 100% mortgaged (actually more)--paycheck to paycheck--wife doesn't work (not that she's not capable)--got the pink slip after 31 years of being on the job (yes, factory).

We're foreclosing this month. Do I enjoy it? No. He's a helluva nice guy--but, I want to jump up and down and say "You're fifty-something years old, and you didn't plan any better than THIS?".

A lot of people would--and do--point the finger at the place of employment they've worked at for 31 years, and place blame. But, if you step back, how could you? You make good money--and 31 years later you're one paycheck from being homeless?

That's not being evil and corporate from the business end--that's just being plain careless and unconcerned from the consumer end.

Would you expect your employer to collapse if you quit? 'Course not--they're prepared. And if they DID collapse, blaming the person that quit would seem ridiculous.

I don't get it...I just don't get it...

Nice to see some of the same people here...have a good weekend.

David

Sorry for the rant--I'll go make myself a Scotch and water and relax a bit...

2. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

Well, you know, it's like we all need everything NOWww!!

We are working on the paycheck to paycheck issue ourselves. I have some bills to pay off, DH has child support to pay, but... I will have my car paid off in 4 months!! Woohoo! I am getting a raise, a promotion & a good bonus at work - so things are looking up.

My raise is going in the bank. My bonus is going to bills...

We've both contemplated bankruptcy before, but now I am glad we didn't do it because things are looking up. Hopefully we'll be prepared by the next time we fall on our face!

3. newstdt

newstdt Well-Known Member

I understand that it's got to be frustrating for you David. You see it everyday. I worked as an operations supervisor in a bank for 13 years. Saw a lot of things that bothered me too. But the shoe can be on the other foot any day of your life whether you want it to or not. I found out the hard way.

If anything you'll be the one who is prepared when you lose your job or you have a child who get's ill and your insurance doesn't cover it or a number of other scenarios happen, because you're going to have that huge nest egg set aside from all you've seen and heard. Heck, if you can never find a job again you'll still be just fine living off of all of your investments.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be filing for bankruptcy. I always swore that it would never be something I'd ever consider. But after developing Cushings Disease and barely being able to care for myself and my kids some days, and having survived on all of my savings that I had, I saw no other way out. Yes, I applied for the credit, yes I used it, yes I had to file. I'll live with it forever. You don't have to even think of me again though. Just take care of yourself.

good luck.

4. David

David Well-Known Member

If you want to be sarcastic....fine--I won't attempt to stop you.

However, your tone doesn't distract from your words--which are true--

Yes, I do have a nest egg--one that would cushion me, my wife, and kids for 90 days or so, should I lose employment.

That differs from living off my investments for the rest of my life--I'm certainly not there--although I do at least THINK about it--probably in an obsessive manner (just ask my wife).

Being disabled from disease constitutes being blindsided.

Receiving a pink slip in August and losing your home in September constitutes stupidity.

I'm confident you know the difference, so I'm unclear on your hostility.

Regards,

David

5. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

I guess we sometimes have to take a step back and put ourselves in other peoples shoes. It gives you a whole new perspective if you truly do it.....hmmmmmm (deep in thought....)

6. newstdt

newstdt Well-Known Member

Sorry you took it that way, wasn't intended that way at all. Perhaps it's on your end.

Simply stated you must be learning something from all you see and you'll take action to prevent any unforseen incident that may effect your life.

Again, simply said take care of yourself. You never know what will happen.