update on fnbofm

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kelly, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

ok, two days ago, I called to get a payoff balance and close this account. paid it off over the phone, they charged me a fee which I also paid.

I called today to make sure everything was a ok. It say's I have a balance of $10.81 arghh. CSR wasn't sure what it was. Said it must be the fee for the payment by phone. I told her I included that with the payment by phone. She said it must have been charged twice. She puts in a request to have the fee reversed.

Then she sees that when I closed my account with a zero balance they decided to add finance charges and their monthly fee. She puts in another request to have that refunded.

All I want is this account to be closed by consumer with a zero balance. I don't want it reported on my cr that the account was closed with a balance. AND I'm not paying another $4.95 to pay the $10.81 when I specifically asked for a pay off balance.

Finally, she states that it will take a week to process the fee reversals, and it takes 21 days to close the account. (I guess I could have just sent the darn payment then) And since I have a security deposit any balance will just be deducted, before they refund my money. Therefore, it will show a closed account with zero balance. However, I might receive statements with a balance in the meantime. Grrrrr

What really sucks is I have a FNBofM MC too!

Kelly

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Your best bet, pay every dime they ask for, and walk away knowing you won't have to deal with them anymore.

Otherwise, expect them to give you more fees' late fee's etc. they are mean when you want to close!

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I agree with Sam. I think I'd go ahead and pay and here's why.

I'm embarrassed to admit this; but, a few months back, I had a card from CCB. (Yep, that was before I discovered this board and I was having problems with them.) Anyway, I decided to pay off the account and close it. In the process of doing so, the rep tried to change my mind, even though he didn't offer anything to keep my business.

Of course, I said no deal and asked how much I needed to send to close the account. I think the amount was something like $53 but the rep reminded that me that interest, as well as finance charges, would need to be figured in.

"How much?" The rep couldn't say, so I asked him to estimate. What I did was pay the estimated amount, plus a couple bucks extra. I wanted to make certain this account was closed!

Do whatever it takes to make sure that the account is closed. Then you won't be sorry and you won't have to worry about it later.

Perhaps this bank isn't as bad as some but I wouldn't take any chances.

4. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I have no problem paying the $10.81. I'm just perturbed that this is such a hassle. And I wanted to let those here learn from my mistakes :) However, I'm going to mail the payment this time! Rather, my bank is going to mail payment. I swear I don't know what I did b4 these convenient programs came along. :)

Kelly

5. confused

confused Guest

I think this bank is one of the biggest scam artists only second to ccb. I applied for a card with these monsters and because at that time, I had a satisfied judgment and to paid charge offs, they charged me a $35 (thirty-five dollar) fee for having bad credit. Isn't that a joke? By the time they finished adding on all their charges, I had a whopping spending limit of $5. I immediately cancelled the credit card before it was even mailed. However, I kept receiving statements for a period of six months and each time I would call and @!#$ at them for these eroneous charges, they'd say just ignore it and it wasn't being reported. What really became the last straw was when a collection agency called me on their behalf which prompted me to get copies of my reports. Sure enough, in black and white, they were there reporting my nonpayment. I disputed it and had the information removed, but still, it was a pain in the butt to have to deal with them and I would discourage anyone from signing any offer with them.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Oh well, cant say I am surprised. I sent them a complete pay off check. 0 balanced the account and then called to close. They tried to make me keep it opened. I enjoyed DISSING em hard. It is just a few bucks. But a lesson was learned. Always 0 the account and then ask for your refund or to close. Esp dealing with these types.

roni