Update Student Loans: I Won!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Apr 18, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

As many of you may know, if you have been reading my post at his message board and at qualitycreditrepair for the past year, I had defaulted student loans which defaulted while I was in my hospital residency training even though I had filed for deferment. I submitted a complaint to the Dept of Ed's Ombudsman's office when my lender would not budge on removing the defaults even with my proof. I have referred many people to the Dept of Education Office of Ombudsman for assistance for their defaulted student loans if you were treated unfairly by your lender or guarantor agency. And I still do. Because.............

TODAY, the lender agreed to delete the default status from ALL of my credit reports. I cant believe it. That gets rid of 11 defaulted loans permanently from my credit record. The ombudsmans office called me today to let me know. This has taken 1 year of fighting and WAITING. I can say that the ombudsman's office came through for me.

And this could not have come at a better time guys. I submitted all my paperwork for the condo yesterday. Wow!
    Even though my lawyer was ready to sue them a year ago, I had faith that fairness would come thru for me in the end. I wanted to share that with all of you especially those who have read my story time and time again.

roni

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Update Student Loans: I Wo

congrats roni, you are testament to the fact that persistence and hard work pays off :)

3. F.F.M

F.F.M Guest

Great Roni...

Give me all the information you have on them. I have two defaulted loans and they do not want to budge!

4. mimi

mimi Guest

Congratulations Roni. I've been following your posts. How do I go about getting in touch with the Ombudsman. The only Ombudsman I know of is the one who keeps you in touch with a Navy member who's gone on tour overseas.

I wonder if that department can help me. I was a victim of domestic violence. I have all the documentation to prove it. I had informed my loan provider of this but I guess it didn't matter to them. Hell it seems like it really didn't matter to anyone. Anyhow, please post the information for me. Thanks.

Also, some posts ago, you stated that you refinanced your car loan. Was it to lower your payment in order to qualify for your mortgage? Just wondering, I think I need to go that route. My payments are over $400. YIKES.

5. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Roni, congratualations! That is wonderful news. Does this mean that your reports are clean now?? A+ credit for you!!

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

http://sfahelp.ed.gov/

http://sfahelp.ed.gov

THE WEBSITE EXPLAINS HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT. THEY WILL ONLY DEAL WITH YOU IF YOUR ATTEMPTS TO RESOLVE YOUR DISPUTE HAVE FAILED.

THEY TAKE ALONG TIME TO RESOLVE DISPUTES AS MY CASE PROVES. I HOPE THEY CAN HELP ANYONE WITH A LEGITIMATE STUDENT LOAN COMPLAINT.

roni

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: http://sfahelp.ed.gov/

GREAT news girl, you determination has finally paid off. Way to go:)

Mom

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

no mvfl

most of these loans I had already disputed and got deleted. The comfort is that they will not come back EVER. These are the loans which reappeared on my equifax report. Unfortunately, I still have settled Discover which comes off in Sept 2001. And I have the reaged Arrow Financial account on Experian which just popped by up with a new date. But is due to come off NOW. I am waiting on the dispute results now. So, my A credit will have to wait a while.

roni

9. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Re: no mvfl

That's fantastic! A big congratulations is definately in order!!!

10. Tim

Tim Guest

Roni=An Upstanding Individual

Roni,

It is truly refreshing to see that someone on this board actually takes responsibility for their debts.

Most people on here would have fought to dispute that the loan was never theirs and the credit bureau's must have made a mistake...How lame!

I applaud your efforts and actions with regards to working with the Department of Education's Ombudsman's office.

Again, truly refreshing...

Good luck to you,

Tim

11. Steve A

Steve A Guest

Re: Roni=An Upstanding Individ

hmmm. Congratulations. But I have to wonder if the results had anything to do with me suing the Dept. of Education over denying my appeal of their adverse agency decision. I mean. They didn't let me appeal, which they had to do. I have real concerns about requiring you to go through an informal non-legal process like the ombudsman. Moreover, why the ****did it have to take a year for them to solve the problem? All this is whacked. It's funny, I served the Dept. of Education in February over this stuff (in federal district court). Maybe now they are beginning to take people's credit reports more seriously. I don't know. Congratulations, anyway. Good for you, but why did it have to take so long?

12. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Steve A.

Thanks for your help with this case. I dont know if your situation helped mine or not. But, I contacted the ombudsman's office in 4/00. The agent who was handling my case left the dept of ed in 8/00. He was probably just stalling until the left the agency. Then I was assigned someone new in 10/00. I had not spoken with him literally since 10/26/00. I told them I wanted a letter from them explaining their investigation results for my upcoming home purchase. Fair enough he had to start my case from the beginning again. I called him 2 weeks ago. Maybe he did do anything until now. I really dont care. They knew I wasnot going away. And my original lender was probably really tired of hearing about it. If you recall the case was I had proof and they had proof that I had applied to defer my loans but they deciding not to approve the loan stating that it was not signed by an authorize official. The deferment paper was signed by the Chief of Oral Surgeon ultimately the highest official in that branch of the hospital. They were dead wrong and just didnot want to admit their mistake. I am so glad that it is over. And if your case helped mine, I am glad. At this point, now that they have agreed to remove my defaults, I am more than glad to fax you copies of my 11 defaults reported as R5 with 0 balances with equifax. That is if you still need them.

roni

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Great Job, Roni.

Roni,

I am sitting down at work while I read this, but I am standing up on the inside and saluting you!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations:)

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Kind Words!

Thank you guys for your kind words!

The shock of my student loans defaulting is what made me get serious about cleaning up my credit. Even though it was not my fault, no one cared. They just saw multiple R9's and gave me big denials. So, regardless of why my credit was so "Jacked Up" , I was in the same boat of many others here.

I appreciate those who responded to the finale of my student loans situtation. And I am disappointed too that the many "regulars" at this site didnot post anything at all. Maybe they just missed the thread.....Nevertheless, keep getting those cards guys and cleaning those reports. And dont sue everybody at once guys....lol

smoochies,

roni

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: Kind Words!

Roni,

I just read the happy news about your students loans. What wonderful news! I'm glad you shared your victory with all of us.

Congratulations!

Donna

16. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hey Roni,

I am SO PROUD of you for hanging in there. I almost feel as if they were my
    own student loans that were deleted. A great feeling!!!!

I am so happy that the Ombudsman's office came through for you.

A sincere and joyous congratulations!

Marci

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

thanks! It feels great!