Updated information

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I have a question for the "pros" and I'm hoping I can articulate the situation.

I got my Trans Union report and I was scanning it. The baddies included: one foreclosure, 3 collection accounts (unpaid), 1 paid collection and 2 charge-offs.

I haven't done anything with ANY of the accounts that are unpaid since 1999 when all hit my report, however, the status area on some, as well as the updated area is showing 2000. For example: I had a First Premier card charged off in 1/98. Haven't sent a dime since. However, the updated area for them says 6/2000. (This occurs for Collectech and Concord Servicing also)

Sooo, for that 7 year thing, what date are they using? (I heard it changed, which why I'm asking). It used to be date of last activity, but with First Premier updating my information, who's to know when my last activity was? Second, how can they just update my file without ANY contact with me? No one has been contacting them in my behalf. I'm working with Junum now so hopefully they can have it removed totally, but if I weren't, how would I handle this?

2. Shantel

Also, and for that foreclosure, shouldn't the balance be zero now? (It's not) That was back in 99 when it happened. It's been LONG taken care of.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The 7 year clock starts from the first date of delinquency in which you never again became current. This is usually 6 months before the charge off date. They donot use last date of activity anymore.

roni

4. Shantel

THANK GOD! So, on TU, where does that date appear? Or do you just have to calculate that?

Also, is that in the amended FCRA?

5. lena

lena Well-Known Member

When you say 7 years after the deliquency are you referring to the orginal account or the collection agency? I just recently checked my credit report and I am notice how this one account I have that was charged off in 98 and was taken over by a collection agency and they show it as a past due account as of Nov 2000 on the acct page and not under the collection page. How is this? (I am thinking this is an error). I have not paid for this acct at all since it was charged off back in 98 by the orginal owners.
    Also can a collection agency keep increasing the orignal amount that was charge off on a debt? Any reponses are welcomed

Thanks

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Yes they can keep increasing it.
    The date is still the date of the charge off originally on the original date.

(usually 6 months past the past due date).

Its confusing. Experian makes it alot easier to understand by stating the actually falloff date.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Lena & Shantel

Collections agencies are not allowed to re-age the account. You can bring this to the addition of the credit bureau during dispute. Seven years starts with the date or original delinquency not when the collection agency bought or took over the account. This is in the new FCRA.

roni

8. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

I believe you're confusing the date of delinquency or date of last activity with the last updated message. Last updated just means the last time the debt was verified (via dispute, company reporting, etc...) This has nothing to do with the date the info will fall off of you're record