Use of Amex green card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Now I realize that this of course is a charge card and must be paid off montly, no shopping sprees with this one he he. But I would like to utilize this card as best I can to build a nice history with Amex. I am considering using it for my groceries for the month , that way I will being using around 400 a month on it. Does this seems to be a good plan to use the card and start a good history with them??

Thanks
    Mom:)

2. Michelle

Michelle Guest

My boyfriend has it. He uses it to pay for everything.

Grocerys
    Cell Phone Bill
    Cable Bill

Just use it everywhere you would have paid cash for if they take amex. Build a good history with them they have other great products to offer in the future. Membership rewards are great. Memebership does have it perks.

I have a AU card and I just love it.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I use mine for everything possible. I've basically put it in place of my visa check card from my bank. Since my Corporate Am/Ex has a retail limit of $500 (it is also enrolled in membership rewards), I have decided to use my own personal Gold card instead to build up a good history. I charged $2800 last month w/ NO PROBLEMS. I had to enroll this card separately in MR because since I'm an AU on the gold card, it doesn't qualify to add onto my Corporate MR plan. Oh well...that sucks since my company pays for the MR enrollment fee.

Another reason why I use my Am/Ex for everything is because it takes the strain off of having to write stuff in my check book (from using the visa check card) on a daily basis. Also, it allows me to earn more interest on my money as it sits in the bank. Then at the end of the month, I write out 1 check to Am/Ex. It actually makes things a whole lot easier. When I go to a place that doesn't accept Am/Ex, that's when I use one of my other cards. But lately I've notice that a lot of places accept Am/Ex.

I like having the charge card for the simple fact that it prevents overspending. I have noticed that I have better control over my money and I am in less debt.

Also, I just got the year end spending summary for Am/Ex and it basically gives a detail summary of your charges by category. My boyfriend doesn't use the card much (average monthy charges are like $100) but since he added me on in August 2000, when I got the summary in February, there was a total of $10k charged. I accounted for $8500 of it (from Aug-Dec)! ;-D

4. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

If I had one, I would use it to buy groceries or gasoline. This way, at the end of the month I would pay it in full.

5. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

Mom,
    I use my American Express everywhere that I would normally use my debit card or expenses that I would write a check for. The only draw back is that the grocery stores in my area do not take AmEx, but I ditched my Texaco card in lieu of AmEx because I used to pay off Texaco monthly. I signed up with their new program and have my utilities (electric bill), my cell phone and all of my membership fees (like COSTCO) charged to the card. It is great for building membership rewards!

I love the yearly summary, too!

6. Cadillac408

Gregory...

What Am/Ex program are you talking about that allows you to pay utilities, cell phone, etc. to your card? I would like to know......that would help me out even more!

7. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

MP$40...

I'm not at home right now to look at the paperwork, but I received an invitation to sign up for this program. I call Am/Ex and a rep walked me thru signing up all of my recurring accounts with them. I had to confirm with the public utility company that they could bill me thru AmEx and they said they could (with the power increases, I should gain more membership rewards ;-) When I get home, I will post this info for ya! K?
    Greg

8. Cadillac408

Re: MP$40...

Thanks! :-D

9. mj

mj Well-Known Member

MP-

My partner is the primary on Gold and Blue, and I have my own corporate card. We were able to enroll all 5 (his gold + blue, my gold + blue, my corp) into one membership rewards account. Since it's a rewards + gold, there isn't a fee for MR, but we did have to pay $10 to add the corp. card (which when I asked about it was told that they do have to charge the fee, but would refund it this year as a courtesy ... I LOVE AMEX!)

See what you can do to combine 'em on MR

ALSO... in MA, Verizon will bill to your Amex, so will RCN and AT&T (cable).

10. Cadillac408

Thanks! I'll find out and see if I can enroll my Gold card on my MR.

I have AT&T set up to bill to company Am/Ex so that's all taken care of. Don't know if MCI Worldcom Wireless accepts Am/Ex. Everytime I try to call, I'm on hold for 20+ minutes!!!!! I wish I would of never signed up w/ them! :-( What's even more idiotic is that the only reason why I'm staying w/ them is because of my phone number (I've had it for a long time, etc.). MCI is a reseller of various carriers including AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. My phone is on the Verizon network and I contacted Verizon to see if I could switch to them and keep my number and they said NO! MCI buys blocks of numbers and the numbers are theirs. Oh well...

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ON MY QWEST BILL IT SAY FEDERAL CHARGE-SERVICE PROVIDER NUMBER PORTABILITY $0.43
    COLORADO OFFSET-SERVICE PROVIDER NUMBER PORTABILITY $0.43 CR

JUST F.Y.I. I have no idea if this is only in COLORADO (SAYS FEDERAL) makes it sound like it is "YOUR NUMBER" NOT theirs????

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Worldcom does bill to Diners, Amex, MC/V/Discover... just go to their website customer service and you can enroll there.

mj

13. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

MP40 - do you know if our CR and scores get better with the usage of the Corporate Card? Just wondering..

14. Cadillac408

Ender

The corporate card is not reported on any of my reports. My Gold account only reports on Equifax for some reason??

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

yupppp

yup - and mom - you could pay in 30 days or the next day via the web - and get the membership rewards points - cya

16. Cadillac408

MJ

I have MCI WComm for my long distance and it it billed to my Am/Ex. I'm talking about *Wireless*. I'm sure they accept it but they don't have internet billpay for their wireless accounts. :-(

I guess I'll have to call and have auto pay to my credit card set up. I'll give them a call when I have time to be on speaker phone while I'm on hold for 20+ minutes!!!!

17. Cadillac408

MJ Also...

I called and made some changes to my Membership rewards. Now both my Corp, Gold and my boyfriend's Gold are all enrolled! They just had to switch and put him as the primary on MR under his Gold account instead of me being primary on my Corp account. Thanks for the tip! :-D