using excel to keep track ..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I was wondering how other people have set up their Excel spreadsheets to keep track of their credit repair history. I have created a file with 4 tabs. The first one is the general where I list action items to do in the near future and the other 3 tabs are for each CRA. I am not sure if there might be a better way to have the headings and ordered in a certain way.. how did you guys format yours?

2. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Re: using excel to keep track

That is a good idea. I use a regular file folder for each CRA. I do everything on the computer, except that. But I think I might start doing it! I will probably set it up the same way you have yours, it sounds like it would be the best and the easiest to understand!

3. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Mine isn't for keeping track of repair issues, but for tracking the cards themselves (I have 14). These are my columns:

% to limit / Issuer, Opened / Credit Limit / Balance / Available / BT, APR / Good Through / CashAdvances / Type
    0.04 MBNA 4/98 7,500 263 7,237 7.9/14.99 7/15? Closing 14.99 3% min $5,max$30 ALL visa platinum

The BT/APR column holds the transfer APR or special percent deal, the other half is for 'standard' APR. Good Through tracks when the transfer/special rate expires. CashAdvances shows what the CA rate is, % fee, min & max $ fee, and how much of the limit can be used for cash advances. The last column is what type of card. I also total the credit limit, balance, available columns, debt-to-limit, and debt-to-income.

Finally, underneath that are the dates that I need to move balances around, depending on when my offers expire. For example:
    April 23 - Universal to Discover (amt) Xfer by April 30, after Universal closes. Current offer ends 3/31/01. What is new rate?
    Mid-June - Wells to Blue (amt) 9.9 until paid

If I didn't have this, I would have NO idea what was going on. Fortunately, I don't need to track due dates or closing dates, since I already know that.

4. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Excellent idea, Ender. I used the exact same thing when I began my repair expedition 3+ years ago. I use one sheet, with one record (row) for each trade line. Then I had columns for each CRA current info (date of delinquency, amount past due, date schedlued to fall off, misc column for names, phone numbers, dates and conversation notes when I talked to someone or when I mailed something, etc.). It helped me keep track on one sheet, and I was able to cross each one off as I dealt with it until the entire sheet was crossed off.

No matter how you set it up, just make sure you're tracking everything - every phone call, every name of every person you talk to and details of the conversation, every agreement, every date, etc.

You've got the right idea.