Utility Bill Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by feddie, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. feddie

    feddie New Member

    I received a letter from a collection agency a few days ago stating that I owed a utility company (gas company) $231.32.

    I am questioning this collection letter and the utility company because I no longer had gas service with the utility company since December of 1999.

    When I received the letter from the collection agency I contacted them. They had no information about this account except that the gas company turned it into collections. The person I spoke with at the collection agency stated they would contact the utility company for more information.

    Today I contacted the gas company regarding this account in collections. The gas company stated that I contacted them in November of 1999 requesting a final bill because I was moving. In December of 1999 they received final payment from me. The gas company states that my account balance is zero. All the gas company could tell me is to contact the collection agency because its in their hands now.

    So it has been 4 years since I had service with the gas company and now all of a sudden I'm in collections. I have obtained credit reports over these last 4 years and there is no account on my credit report showing I owe the gas company anything, nor is the gas company even listed on my credit report. There is also no collection accounts on my credit report. The gas company nor any collection agency has contacted by phone or mail in 4 years.

    What can I do or what should I do. If someone could please give me some help it would be greatly appreciated.

    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    Ask the GAS COMPANY for a letter stating that you owe $0.00

    Send a COPY to the CA (with a copy of their letter)...and tell them they are WRONG in trying to collect and you don't want FILE in SMALL CLAIMS COURT...but you will if you have to because they refuse to DROP IT...

    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    If they don't DROP IT with the first letter...send a second letter and ask for a FEE OF $500 so you won't FILE ON THEM!!!


    They MAY or MAY NOT accept CERTIFIED so send cc by regular US MAIL for $0.37

Share This Page