Utility Co. and Signature Validatio

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by madamewalk, Aug 27, 2003.

1. madamewalk

madamewalk Active Member

Hi all,

Curious - what sort of proof would a utility company have to submit to connect you to a debt with them?

In theory and convention with validation, this would be a signature, but in reality, for any utility account I've ever had in my name, I've never signed anything (of course, unlike revolving credit lines/credit cards).

Thanks for any help you can provide; this will help me strategize how to challenge a past debt.

Madame Walker

2. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Demanding a signed contract that creates the debt is not always a lock. There are provision in the law which allow certain types of comapnies to begin accounts over the phone. Utilities are a great example.

A Utility co. makes a reasonable effort to determine you are who you say you are and establish your account. When you pay your first bill, they now do have your signature. Unless of course, you're kind enough to pay the bill of the individual who styole your identity in the first place.

:)

How old is this item, and what's the amount?

Oh - welcome to the board.

3. madamewalk

madamewalk Active Member

Hi Butch,

Thanks for responding - the debt is from 1998. What's interesting is that it didn't appear on his report until he attempted to get phone service again. Also, this was when Verizon was Bell Atlantic; I think he assumed the debt was lost in the switch.

One more thing, when he denied the debt - they sent him this Fraud Investigation Form, asking him to fill it out and give them all sorts of information about his place of employment, past addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome.

Madame Walker

4. madamewalk

madamewalk Active Member

Forgot the amount - something in the $300 - 400 range - I'm not certain because I don't have access to his papers right now.

Thanks!