validation letter if debt paid

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mario V, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Mario V

Mario V Guest

Is a validation letter still useful, if a debt to an original creditor or colloection agency has already been paid?

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: validation letter if debt

If it's already paid, that won't help at all. Those letters are for validating the debt they claim you owe them, if it's paid that kinda defeats the purpose of validating it??

3. Mario V

Mario V Guest

Thank you for the reply, however,
    I am still not completely convinced.
    Any other viewpoints?

4. Ann

Ann Guest

Have you actually read a validation letter? The letter is basically asking them to validate a DEBT you owe them and to provide proof this is your debt and they can collect it. If it is already PAID, that letter is useless. Pretty simple to me.

5. molly

molly Well-Known Member

but

In order for them to report anything on your credit report the have to be able to show proof that it is your debt. What I'm saying is they have to show you proof of dates etc. , if you are disputing them. What should he send for this? Something as strong as the validation letter-any suggestions?

6. am

am Guest

Re: but

If a company is reporting anything at all about you, it is your right to validate that information---whether it is paid or not. I would personally use the validation letter that pops up around here often and just change it a bit regarding monies owed. In fact, I think I'm gonna do that this week!
    am

7. Ann

Ann Guest

Re: but

I understand what you saying, but using a validation letter for a debt already paid, and I assume being reported that way on his reports is completely useless. If you read the letter you know this won't work.

I don't have any suggestions, but you have to take the paid charge offs/collections on reports. I guess start with the simple one not mine etc.

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

use it

What the real point of a validation is to shift the burden of proof to the creditor. You can send it and that should prompt them to find and look at their files. they should then see that it's paid.

It still is a wall of protection if the collection agency decides to sue.

If you don't get the debt validated, the second letter nulifies the claim (silence by estoppel). It accomplished the same thing. the debt is null at the collector level.

Now, if you've paid a debt (and can dig up the proof... then you're in the clear anyway). But if you don't have the proof, a validation still will shift proof to them.

If you send nothing the debt is assumed to be valid. And if you ever get sued and you have no written papertrail showing how you've exercised your rights and they haven't responded... you'll probably lose in court.

If you have documentation showing you tried to correct the collection agency... then you stand a chance.

When in doubt, and when the creditor isn't correcting issues (like recalling accounts from collection agencies) then a validation will help your position.

And frankly, when in doubt, send it. it absolutely won't hurt you and it might prompt a resolution.

9. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Re: use it

I used it for a paid debt, got a letter saying "just because you paid the debt doesnt mean we remove it from your report" I sent a validation letter again, saying the debt was small, and paid in error by my hsuband, who thought it was too small to allow it to become a hassle if we went for a mortgage. I pointed out that just as paying it doesnt warrant a removal, neither does it serve as proof that the original debt was valid. Provide the proof and I will drop the subject. I got an apology letter (of sorts) and a promise that the item would be deleted. Two weeks later, it was. Send the letter, you have nothing to lose!

10. Mario V

Mario V Guest

Re: use it

Marypc,
    Hope your experience helps more than a few.
    I too needed to pay off the accounts so that I could obtain a mortgage. Nothing to lose, lots to gain!