Validation Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BJM2994, Sep 27, 2003.

1. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

I have a 3 yr old charge-off account w/ Sears for $2,900 with $600 being added penalty & interest. They sold it to Sherman Acquisitions who placed the acct. with Alegis Group LP. They contacted me last mth by letter & telephone. I sent validation ltr on 8/27. I received no reply...only a letter on 9/25, 3 days short of 30 day time limit from an attorney representing Sherman. I'm not sure about the sample validation letters. Which would be an appropriate letter to send to this law firm (Frederick J Hanna & Assoc.). Ironically, his stationary states "this is a communication from a debt collector".
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    BJM

2. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

If they didn't give any documentation, I would advise them that they are in violation of the Fair Debts Collection Practices Act, which requires that all collection activity must cease until their client provides the previously requested documentation.

Any future communications before the receipt of the documentation requested in the validation request, as well as the communication which you just received, will be prosecutted to the fullest extent allowed by the Fair Debts Collection Practices Act, including litigation for damages in the amount of up to $1,000.00 per illegal communication, plus all of your legal fees and court costs associated with the successful suit to recover said damages.

You have up to ONE YEAR from the date of the violation to initiate said proceedings, so you could either send a warning letter now, or continue with the 30 day, 60 day, etc validation letters (both to the CA, and their attorney); and let them keep building the cash value of your suit against them. ;)

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, it sounds to me like they might have passed this off to another CA. You may have to send another validation letter to the new CA. I'm a newbie, but that's what is seems like to me.

4. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

I'm not sure who they passed it to. The letter head is from a attorney group...what's funny is the bottom of the attorney's letter says "This communication is from a Debt Collector". I thought that unusual. I'm new to this also. I have received nothing back from Sherman and their 30 days is up today. As of yesterday, nothing has shown up on my credit report from Sherman. I'm not sure how long that takes. I think i'm suppose to send an estoppel letter to them, LOL. I ran into a thread yesterday entertaining that subject between creditnet and another individual...so i'm not sure if i should even send one. The last comment i read stated that it really didn't matter....an estoppel of silence had not been used successful in court. Supposedly there are only 4 acts of God that will stop a Summary Judgment. I guess you show up if they do file, and if they are successful, come back to court to vacate Judgment because of the violations the CR and hopefully the attorney will make and hope for the best.
    Barbara
    Sorry this is so long!

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*They sold it to Sherman Acquisitions who placed the acct. with LP. They contacted me last mth by letter & telephone.
    1*I sent validation ltr on 8/27. I received no reply...only a letter on 9/25, 3 days short
    2* Which would be an appropriate letter to send (Frederick J Hanna & Assoc.).
    3*As of yesterday, nothing has shown up on my credit report from Sherman.
    I'm not sure how long that takes.
    4*I think i'm suppose to send an estoppel letter to them, LOL.
    5*I ran into a thread yesterday entertaining that subject between creditnet and another individual...so i'm not sure if i should even send one. The last comment i read stated that it really didn't matter....an estoppel of silence had not been used successful in court.
    6*Supposedly there are only 4 acts of God that will stop a Summary Judgment. I guess you show up if they do file, and if they are successful, come back to court to vacate Judgment because of the violations the CR and hopefully the attorney will make and hope for the best.
    BJM2994
    =====================
    1*I think Alegis Group and Sherman are one and the same. Was the letter you got a collection letter? If it was this is a 1000 dollar violation because they have not validated yet.
    2*This one.
    Here is the Validation Letter you want to send by CRRR.
    Don't make any changes on it and don't hand sign it.

Your Name
    Address
    City State Zip

Company
    Address
    City State Zip

Date

RE: Account #_________/Original Creditorâ??s Name

Dear Sir/Madame:

Thank you for your recent inquiry. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is being disputed. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Please complete and return the attached disclosure request form.

Be advised that I am not requesting a "verification" that you have my mailing address, I am requesting a "validation;" that is, competent evidence that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

You should also be aware that sending unsubstantiated demands for payment through the United States Mail System might constitute mail fraud under federal and state law. You may wish to consult with a competent legal advisor before your next communication with me.

Your failure to satisfy this request within the requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act will be construed as your absolute waiver of any and all claims against me, and your tacit agreement to compensate me for costs and attorney fees.

Sincerely,

Your Name don't sign

- - - Include the following on a separate sheet of paper - - -

CREDITOR DISCLOSURE STATEMENT

Name and Address of Collector (assignee): _________________________

Name and Address of Debtor: ____________________________________

Account Number(s): ____________________________________________

What are the terms of assignment for this account? You may attach a facsimile of any records relating to such terms.

Have any insurance claims been made by any creditor or assignee regarding this account? YES/NO

Has the purported balanced of this account been used in any tax deduction claim? YES/NO

Please list the particular products or services sold by the collector to the debtor and the dollar amount of each:

Upon failure or refusal of collector to validate this collection action, collector agrees to waive all claims against the debtor named herein and pay debtor for all costs and attorney fees involved in defending this collection action.

Date_______/_______/_______

Please return this completed form and attach all assignment or other transfer agreements that would establish your right to collect this debt. Your claim cannot be considered if any portion of this form is not completed and returned with the required documents. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you do not respond as required by this law, your claim will not be considered and you may be liable for damages for continued collection efforts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    3*It better not show up before they validate or you will have your 2nd. 1000 dollar violation on them.
    4*You better be sending this to Sherman and it's no laughing matter.

DON'T CHANGE
    Send CRRR

Your Name
    Address
    «City», «State» «Zip»

Company»
    Address
    «City», «State» «Zip»

«Date»

RE: Dispute Letter of <insert date>

Dear Sir/Madame:

As I have not heard back from you in over 30 days regarding my notice of dispute dated <insert date>, and you have not supplied the demanded proof of the alleged debt, under the doctrine of estoppel by silence, Engelhardt v Gravens (Mo) 281 SW 715, 719, I may presume that no proof of the alleged debt, nor therefore any such debt, in fact exists.

In a good faith effort to resolve this matter amicably, I restate my demand for proof of the debt, specifically the alleged contract or other instrument bearing my signature, as well as proof of your authority in this matter. Absent such proof, you must terminate this collection action and correct any erroneous reports of this debt as mine.

For the record, I state again that as I have no account with you, nor am I your customer, nor have I entered into a contract with you, I must ask for the following information:

Please evidence your authorization under 15 USC 1692 (e) and 15 USC 1692 (f) in this alleged matter.

What is your authorization of law for your collection of information?

What is your authorization of law for your collection of this alleged debt?

Please evidence your authorization to do business or operate in the state of ____________________ .

Please evidence proof of the alleged debt, including specifically the alleged contract or other instrument bearing my signature.

You have fifteen (15) days from receipt of this notice to respond. Your failure to respond, on point, in writing, hand signed, and in a timely manner, will work as a waiver to any and all of your claims in this matter, and will entitle me to presume that you sent your letter(s) in error, and that this matter is permanently closed.

Your continued silence is unacceptable. Either provide the proof or correct the record to remove the invalid debt from my credit files with the three primary credit-reporting agencies. You are currently in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Act.

Failure to respond within 15 days of receipt of this registered letter will result in a small claims action against your company. I will be seeking $____________ in damages for the following:

Defamation

Negligent Enablement of Identity Fraud

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

After obtaining the judgment against your company, I will obtain a Writ of Execution from the Sheriffâ??s office in your county and I will begin the process of attaching property or funds to satisfy the judgment.

For the purposes of 15 USC 1692 et seq., this Notice has the same effect as a dispute to the validity of the alleged debt and a dispute to the validity of your claims. This Notice is an attempt to correct your records, and any information received from you will be collected as evidence should any further action be necessary. This is a request for information only, and is not a statement, election, or waiver of status.

I affirm under penalty of perjury under the Laws of the Land for the United States of America, that the foregoing is true and correct, to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Sincerely,
    Your Name DON'T SIGN

5*Believeing this is a good way to find your self in the situation you describe in #6.
    6*come back to court to vacate Judgment because of the violations the CR and hopefully the attorney will make and hope for the best. You got this part all twisted up.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

6. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

I wish i'd had that info on Saturday....i've already sent the validation to the attorney. It basically was the same letter, short of the disclosure statement. Should i send the disclosure statement if i've already mailed the letter?
    Thanks so much for the estoppel letter. What gauges the amount of the damages against Sherman? They have one violation...within the validation period. Do each of the infractions listed in the estoppel constitute $1,000?
    What are the sequence of events if the attorney files a judgment against me...what should i be prepared to do?
    Barbara

7. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

Could someone tell me what delegates the sum of the infractions in the estoppel letter...

Failure to respond within 15 days of receipt of this registered letter will result in a small claims action against your company. I will be seeking $____________ in damages for the following:

Defamation

Negligent Enablement of Identity Fraud

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

I want to send this to Sherman, but i want it to sound legit and i don't have a clue.

Checked privacyguard today. Nothing from Sherman, but the Attorney (Hanna) pull my CR on 9/23.

I don't have a clue about this stuff and i'm glad to have the input.
    Barbara

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*What are the sequence of events if the attorney files a judgment against me?
    2*Sherman has one violation...within the validation period.
    3* the Attorney (Hanna) pull my CR on 9/23.
    BJM2994
    ===============
    1*Neither a creditor attorney or any individual can file a judgment against anyone. Judgments have to come from an act of a court.
    2* They did have one but now it's 2.
    3*This is the 2 nd. violation.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

9. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

What is the violation?

???

10. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't Sherman be in violation by giving the attorney the case within the 30 days i gave them to validate? Sherman also called my work, but that was the same day as i received their initial collection letter in the mail.
    My credit score has dropped by 18 pts in the last 2 days. Would that be from the attorney pulling my report? Is the dispute inquiry ltr in the library something i should consider sending the CB for his pull?

11. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Validation Question

First, welcome to the board Barbara,

My point is that you need to understand what you're doing before you do anything. It's very easy to make a mistake, (ask Snakeman);).

Take your time, read profusely and ask a lot of questions before you proceed. WE care about how successful you're going to be at dealing with this so our first item of advice is ALWAYS have a firm foundation under you prior to taking action. Don't just send letters off to these people that someone plasters on the board and says; here send this. lol

You need to know why.

The Estoppel letter above has nothing to do with your case.

Further, just because Sherman sent your file to an atty., does not a violation make. It is "continued COLLECTION activity" that creates the violation.

There are basic questions that need to be answered which I see no-one asking.

• When was the date of last activity?
    • What state are/were you in?
    • What does the letter from the atty. say?
    • Are you sure Sherman's license to collect is up to speed in your state?
    • Have there been other formal complaints against Sherman?
    • What does the BBB have to say?
    • Is the $600 "fee" included in the $2900, or is that in addition to?
    • What does your contract say? Is that size of a "collection fee" permitted? In other words what's the default rate?
    • What does your state law say about the "max" on collection fees?

Have you contemplated trying to make them a settlement offer in exchange for deletion?

Whatever you do you DO NOT want to just allow this go ahead and reduce to a judgement. Whoever told you that is an IDIOT!!! (and you can tell him I said so) :)

etc.

Sears is a difficult bunch, proceed carefully.

:)

12. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

Butch, I've been trying to find the answers to the questions you asked this PM. I'm so glad you joined in the thread. I really appreciate the help. I have a very limited knowledge...i made a very stupid mistake and my credit has suffered. I thought the R9 was going to be all i'd have to deal with until Sears sold this charge-off to Sherman Acquisitions.
    I'll answer the questions best i can:
    1) Date of Last Activity: 11/00. I don't have but one statement dated 2/2001 and it does appear by the payment amount and late payment fees of $25 per mth, i was approximately 3 mths behind.
    2) Florida
    3) He advises me that Sherman Acquisitions purchased the charge off from Sears. He is a law firm who represents Sherman. I have 30 days to dispute. If i dispute he'll mail verification of debt or obtain a copy of judgment. He also said "If you request this office in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, this office will provide you with name and address of original creditor, if different from current creditor". This is an attempt to collect a debt.
    4) Sherman is using a company named Alegis Group LP, Houston, TX as the CA. If the license is up to date...i don't know that one. Where should i go for that info?
    5) Formal complaints...meaning have i had other problems with them...where would i find that info? I didn't find anything listed with the BBB.
    6) The BBB lists this regarding Alegis Group:

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).
    When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Closed Complaints
    Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened in December of 2001: 96
    Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 53
    7) The original amount was $2303.66. I paid on it for a year...the principal went down $30. The $2896.30 is past due payments, finance charges and late charges. The last and only copy of a bill i still have lists a 24% APR. The account is closed since approx. 3/2001.
    8) My State of FL laws say:
    Interest Rate
    Legal 10%
    Judgment 10%; 18% if contractual
    SOL
    Open Acct: 4 yrs
    Written Contract: 5 yrs
    Collection Agency:
    Bonded: Yes $50,000
    License: Yes
    Fee: Yes
    200 Registration
    200 Renewal
    Exemption for Out of State Collectors: Registration is required if soliciting accounts or have a FL office.

I haven't made them an offer. I only talked to the CA once before i sent validation and cease and desist and she turned it over to the attorney the next week. I've received one letter from him last week, and no phone calls. I sent him a CRR validation ltr last week.

That's about all that has happened. I don't find anything on my CR yet, so do i need to send an estoppel to the Alegis Group? Sunday was the end of their 30 day validation time frame.

I'm sorry this is so long, i hope answered and my problem is more clear. Thanks for the help :)

13. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Well Barbara,

I don't know that you'll be able to escape this altogether.

Keep up the fight for a detailed statement of account with everything listed. That should buy some time. In the meantime, you'll need to be patient because you'll need to accumulate sold violations. This will give you some time to study hard anyway.

When the time is right you may need to ponder an agreement with them which is favorable to you.

See even if you do sue a CA for millions and win, it still doesn't make the debt go away.

I'll be thinking about it. Maybe some others have some input.

:)

14. BJM2994

BJM2994 Member

Thanks Butch......i'll keep posting as this mess unfolds. I have a copy of the items in question already. I obtained a printout from Sears during the mth of purchase to use in a small claims suit i filed to retrieve the items. I wasn't successful, summons could not be delivered.......so end of that. I still have the legal documents. Sears wasn't ever interested in a negotiated settlement and I shot myself in the foot by getting mad and quit paying a year later. I actually still have good credit, even with the R9, but this may just ruin everything. My CS has dropped 18 pts since last Saturday.
    At what point do i admit the debt with the attorney. I assume he will validate the debt soon.
    All that BS now being said,
    could you reference good places of study?

15. brauson

brauson Member

If you are still dealing with this, you should know that Frederick J Hanna & Associates had a FDCPA suit in Florida, they drag things out forever waiting on someone to drop the ball. Fortunately, the plaintiff won and Hanna was ordered to pay some $25,000 (+ or -) plus attorney fees of around $4500. Not sure which court but I found it on Pacer or Lexis one. It was in Panama City District court I think.

Watch them like a hawk, from what I can tell their practice is 98% debt collection and they seldom have validation.

Happy Thanksgiving

Brauson