Validation Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rmk1825, May 28, 2001.

  1. rmk1825

    rmk1825 Member


    I've read in posts here that there is a law that states when you can request for validation that a crredit account is yours in the form of a signed document. I have been looking for this in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Am I missing it? Where is this?

  2. bbauer

    bbauer Banned

    Try the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.


    Credit bureaus don't have to to abide by that and they won't even if you demand that they do. All they have to do is to call up the creditor/CA and ask them "Hey Joe, you tellin us the truth" and if "Joe" says "Yeah" they just verified it.

    On the other hand, demanding it of them don't hurt you and might give you something to argue about and one of their clerks might get stupid and fall for the bogus demand.

    But that's also why you will do a whole lot better taking your fight to the creditor/ca before you ever ask the credit bureau to check anything.

    If you go at it right, you can almost always force the creditor/CA to delete the listing and even forgive the debt completely and totally. You can usually get that done in maybe 2 to 3 months time. That way you normally don't have to even bother with the credit bureaus unless it stays on your report when it should be gone.

    When you do it that way, you don't have to worry about the report coming back time and again and having to keep on fighting it over and over again.

    Go to the source of your problems first and the credit bureau later if you have to.

    That's the way I'm doing it and it isn't even hard to do.

Share This Page