verifying information by phone

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Glory, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Glory

Glory Guest

I have so-so credit and my husband has excellent credit. I am wanting to apply for a card in his name with me as an authorized user. I'm afraid they will call to verify the information and he will tell them he doesn't want it. He believes in paying cash for everything. He has a 87 on his worthknowing.com report, so I feel like I could get one without trouble. Does anyone know who won't call our house to verify? I know that sounds scandolous but you would have to know my husband.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: verifying information by p

My hubby is somewhat that way as well. The only bank that ever called to verify for him was Aria Platinum card , but other than that no other banks have called to verify that I have dealt with.

3. Glory

Glory Guest

Thanks!! I am afraid he won't let me have it, but once I have it in hand, nothing he can say then. He will get over it, I guess

4. zip

zip Well-Known Member

I have same problem and I have gotten a few cards in hubbys name and me as authorized. He gets over it!No-ones ever called to verify. They do call to offer him stuff though.

5. Glory

Glory Guest

Zip what do you do then? (more

What do you do when they call? I usually answer the phone, but when I'm at work the machine is one and sometimes he gets home first or is home during the day (he's a truckdriver). I guess it wouldn't matter once I had the card, but he is SOOOO weird about credit and financing. He wouldnt even let me get a new car until we saved $10000 to use as a downpayment and financed it 32 months. Not only that the payments are only 315 but he makes me pay them $500. I guess he's smart, but I like to have some plastic for the good sales :)

6. JP

JP Guest

RE: Zip what do you do then? (

One thing that can be said about his methods are that they are effective because he has an excellent credit rating.

JP

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Zip what do you do then? (

Well they usually never leave a message on your machine in fact most of his accounts hang up on me and vice versa, they only seem to want to speak to the acual card holder, but like zip said they do call and offer you crap you don't need, some banks are worse than others. If your husband's weird about it you may want to tell after you do this before he finds out one day when they call him trying to sell him something and he tells them he doesn't have an account.

Mom

8. mt

mt Guest

I'm sorry, but I have a big problem with applying for credit in someone else's name without his/her knowledge. Really, we are all adults, and it is my opinion that you should discuss the matter with your partner and that person should make the application. And, frankly, if you are interested in building your OWN credit, then you should follow some of the tips on this board. I have learned quite a bit on this board and appreciate that people take the time to post constructive responses to questions. My response to your question is definitely critical, but I may have misunderstood your question -- if not, then my response stands.

9. Glory

Glory Guest

that is fine, we all have opinions and they are all different. My credit is NOT bad, just not as good as his. I have credit cards that aren't late, but our vehicles and mortgage is in his name, therefore he has the better credit. However since I live in a community property state it is not illegal to do so. I will tell him afterwards, but if i ask him to apply he will say NO.

10. Saar

Saar Banned

Glory wrote:
    "I live in a community property state it is not illegal to do so."

Honey, even if you lived in a Communist state, impersonating would still be a crime.

Saar

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

At least have the guts to tell him you are thinking about applying for a "joint" credit card (WITH HIM AS THE PRIMARY CARD HOLDER).

As I said on the CHASE and JUNIPER post I have NEVER (in over 22 years) been called from any credit card company to verify information.

12. Jane

Jane Guest

It is against the law!

It is against the law to sign his name to the application. That is called credit card fraud and is punishable by jail.

13. mt

mt Guest

I do not have a response to your assertion that it is legal in your state -- I doubt that it is legal to sign another person's name. Regardless, it is not an ethical path to take. I would be furious if someone did this without my knowledge, the example that you have given, something like, "it'll be okay if he finds out after the fact," is just absurd and I'm really flabbergasted that anyone would agree with this as a legitimate or ethical practice. You are not a child, don't behave like one, and don't allow your partner to behave like one either. This seems to have more to do with control and trust than anything else.

14. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: It is against the law!

If your credit is as you put it "as good as his" then why not get the card in your own name? Most will approve with good credit.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SO-SO (HERS)
    EXCELLENT (HIS)

16. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I would be majorly pissed off, if say, my SO chose to sign me up for a card, then , say made a late payment..

that would require serious punishment.

17. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Glory, don't do that! If my wife would try to pull something like this, I'd be _very_ mad. I'd cancel the card in an instant and put a fraud alert on my report. It'll ruin my trust in her...

You would be much better off if you apply for an account on your name. Start building that credit on your own. Or if you really want a large credit line and best terms, try to talk to him before you try something like this

18. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I agree with Sorin here, my hubby never applies for anything BUT I always tell him if I am going to apply for him FIRST, he just sleeps and works and never has the time or really know the credit world. But I would never apply for something in his name without his knowledge. Believe me I have tried to get OTHER things over on him (not this issue) and always seem to get caught.

19. Larry

Larry Guest

Just curious Glory !
    What kind of credit are you shooting for? What kind of terms, credit limit ??

20. Brandon

Brandon Guest

This does break some major laws and despite being his spouse he could still have you arrested if he so chose, not to mention some of the problems that could occur because of an account he is not aware of. Not to mention if the company ever does get wind of this they will flag any account you have with them or ever may have and they can report that to both of your credit bureaus if they chose to thus ruining what was at least mediocre credit that you once had.