Verifying who I am

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hal, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Okay, I have begun to tire of CRA's and creditors replying to my disputes/letters with "Please provide your SSN, a copy of your Driver's License, and proof of residence such as a utility bill so we can proceed with our investigation." The next time I get one of these I'm going to reply in this manner:

Dear CRA (or creditor):

I am in receipt of your request for proof of my identification dated xx/xx/xxxx. While I understand the need for you to verify information to protect the privacy of consumers; I provided a copy of the report you issued (or bill in the case of a creditor) and consider this adequate verification of my identity.

As this information was provided in my original letter, your reply causes uncertainty that it has been received from the agency (or business) to which my request for verification was originally mailed. If this reply was indeed from the original recipient, this information would not have been requested as it was provided in my first correspondence.

In order to alleviate my concerns please provide the following by return mail so I can proceed with my investigation of your request:

1. Employer identification number.
    2. A copy of your license to do business or corporate charter for my state.
    3. Proof of residence such as a utility or telephone bill.

Upon receipt of these items I can proceed with your request.

Best Regards,

Hal

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Oh! That is great!!

Like, if you don't know who I am, why are you billing me???

breeze

3. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

If you do happen to send out that letter next time, please share the response (if any) you get. Your letter is hilarious. I wish I would have thought of that one when Equifax pulled this on me last month.