Visabuxx card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by niteowl, Apr 10, 2001.

1. niteowl

niteowl Guest

I have a question about this new Visabuxx card. What's the difference between this and a secured card? Except that it obviously won't be reported to credit agencies, I guess. Can only kids use these? It sounded to me like something that could be handy for someone who absolutely cannot get a credit card, but needs one for things like travel reservations and other things where a credit card is required. Couldn't a person in this situation just run out and buy a pre-paid Visabuxx card? I have a friend whose credit is that bad and I was thinking of mentioning this card to her, but don't want to say anything until I check it out a little more. Anyone here have any info?

2. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

It is from Capital One, isn't it?

3. TommyC

TommyC Guest

Hi Niteowl,
    In reference to the Visabuxx card, it won't help your friend rebuild his/her credit, but it is useful if you want to budget your spending. You can transfer funds to the card with either a checking account or credit card. If you use a checking account to fund your Visabuxx card, the funds become available after they clear. You can chose between Capital One, Bank of America and if memory serves me well, Bank One, as the issuer of the card. Check them out at http://www.visabuxx.com Best wishes, TommyC

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Question

I have a friend that needs a pre-paid card like the Visa Buxx card. I told her about the Am/Ex Cobaltcard (she has a Ch13) and she was approved today and they gave her an account number and exp. date! She was so happy. Now she wants a Visa or MC since Am/Ex isn't accepted everywhere. I directed her to the Visa Buxx web site but we are both under the impression that it's for kids 13 and older and the card is funded by your parent. Is this really so? Or can you get a card just for yourself? Is there a pre-paid Visa or MC that she can get? I know the M2 card is no more.

5. niteowl

niteowl Guest

Re: Question

What is the AmEx Cobalt card? Does it work just like the Visabuxx, i.e. it is prepaid? Or is it just another secured card? Do tell...

6. TommyC

TommyC Guest

The Visabuxx card is for whomever signs up for it. If the person is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian above 18 will need to be present in order to give the "funding the account" information. I signed my wife up for the Visabuxx, because she is new to credit, as a means of helping her to understand the credit world and budgeting in particular. So, yes, you can get a Visabuxx card for yourself. The Cobalt Card, is essentially the same concept as the "stored-value" Visabuxx card, although with the American Express name imprinted on it. With the Visabuxx card, your maximum daily cash withdrawal from an ATM is $50.00 and your maximum daily cash withdrawal with the Cobalt Card, is $100.00 (up to a maximum of $300.00 per 7 day period). Take care, TommyC

7. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

AAA (the auto club) is offering a prepaid VISA. They do not ask for your real name or SS#. Real good for anyone wanting to hide a little money. You can put up to $10,000 on it and withdraw cash up to $750 a day

8. niteowl

niteowl Guest

Wow. Where does one find out more about obtaining one of these AAA Visa's? Walk into a AAA office? Do you know if you can just fund it by walking in with cash?

9. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

The promotional literature said to just walk into any AAA office. I don't know if they will take cash. Call 1-877-233-9244 for details. These are the worst trained sales reps in the business but they will eventually get you an answer.