WalMart Debit Card

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by irishbill, Apr 14, 2009.

1. irishbill

irishbill New Member

Hi, I have a default judgement on my bank account. I've stopped Direct Deposit of my pension into it. If I use Wal Mart's Debit Card with Direct Deposit can my creditors attach my pension when the check is deposited or should I just cash the check and then deposit the money? I can save the fees if I put it on direct deposit. Thanks.....

2. jjgross

jjgross Well-Known Member

Is it ss? I would open an account at a different bank.

3. irishbill

irishbill New Member

WalMart Debit Card....

I do have SS, plus a VA Disabilty, plus a union pension check. How would opening a new bank account help? Wouldn't the default judgement apply to that one also? thanks...

4. jjgross

It's almost impossible to garnish a pension,IE SS ,a union pension is also hard to garnish,so your almost judgement free.I would open at a different bank and just leave a little in your current account.However it would be hard to get anything from you as it stands now.

5. irishbill

irishbill New Member

WalMart Debit Card....

Ok, thanks for the info....I've read tho, that they will actually seize the money and make you prove it's from SS, VA, etc. Does the bank have the legal ability to say, 'No, this money is from SS' and refuse to honor the judgement? Do the banks normally do this on a person's behalf? I can't afford to miss amonths payments while I go to court to say 'Hey, you can't do that'........

6. gpatrick

gpatrick Member

I know this post is a little old. What about getting the direct express debit Mastercard? That would be almost if not impossible to garnish. That might work. Not sure though. The only problem with the card, It has problems being used online to purchase or pay bills. Otherwise, I think you can use it at a bank to get cash or at store to purchase item. If you do or can open an account up, you will need to ask the bank to open up an EFT account that is setup so creditors can not garnish your benefits. Some will just using a savings to do that. You may have to pay things by money order or cash.

7. jjgross

If its SS money they can't legally touch it.You need to talk to the bank manager.