Washington marches....

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MikeB, Sep 29, 2001.

1. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Thousands of people are marching in Washington to protest the pending U.S. retaliation for the Sept. 11 attacks. They are protesting more violence under the false presumption that doing nothing stops further attacks. Did these fanatics stop after the U.S.S. Cole attack? No. After the Embassy bombings? No.
    These people marching in Washington think we should just be able to waltz into Afghanistan and find and arrest those responsible. If you are that FU_ _ _ _ _ stupid, go over there yourself and see what happens.
    I want to see as few innocent people killed as possible, but these brain-washed fanatics are ready to die in the name of Islam as it is being incorrectly interpreted by Osama bin Laden and his followers. I feel we should expedite their wishes with extreme prejudice. The false presumption that violence begets more violence sounds very noble and civilized, but does not apply to people that are not civilized. These people (Taliban) want to kill all Americans and imprison people that preach Christianity or any other religion other than that of Islam.
    I hope America will have very few casualties in this campaign, but to think that we can do anything other than wage an all out attack on Terrorism is naive to say the least. These protesters need to get a job and quit doing drugs. The 70's are over.

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

That news headline was on the front page of the Washington Post this morning. What a sad thing to wake up to. After reading the article(s) I can't help but feel two emotions - disgust and pity for the victims who have to wake up and see these jerks on the front page of their newspaper. With all that has happened in the past 2-3 weeks is it really necessary to witness some protester burning the American flag (that so many men and women had to die for to allow that jerk the freedom to do that). I understand we have a Constitution which gives these individuals the right to protest, but do I have to see it? What someone does in the privacy of their own home is their choice, but why do the rest of us have to fall prey to it? I don't know. I can't help but feel these people are traitors. Okay, I'm going to step down off my soapbox before I continue my rampage. Hope everyone is well.

Dani

3. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Dani,

I think that the sight of these liars and cowards burning our flag would make any decent person sick. I feel just like you do. But we do need to know that there are traitors out there. Sometimes it takes a shocking and sickening sight to wake us up.

These people are doing out in the open what many political, media, and academic figures have been doing in private for years. There was a reason why our country was vulnerable to attack. The reason is that impostors in powerful positions feel this country is so evil that it isn't worth protecting.

Now I'm getting off MY soapbox. Take care.

4. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Although I hold the same sentiment as the above posters, I must digress and make the point that this is what freedom is about. As unpleasant as the sight of protests such as this may be, the ability to do so without fear of government retaliation is one of the things that makes us great as a nation.

As with many former military members (20+ years in my case and retired) the old saying comes to mind:

"I may not agree with your point of view, but I will defend with my life your right to voice it freely."

These people are a definite minority at this time in our society, and with the broad spectrum of cultures and personalities we endure in our country they will always be present to some degree. I don't disagree with pacifism, I simply believe there is a time and place for it, as with all things.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Right, Hal. Little do they know! They can dissent because the soldiers fight.