Well atleast I tried:(

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I called the collection agency today and tried to make an agreement to pay and they would inturn remove/delete the account. But they flat out refused, so I guess we will be stuck with a paid collection:( Oh well on to my next quest!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mom,
    I know you are not giving up that easily.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I know, but what else can I do???

4. Tyson

Tyson Guest

Offer to buy the account from them if they own it.

5. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Did you call them? If so, then write them a letter but don't mention the call in the letter. Maybe you'll get someone else and they'll work with you. Sometimes letters are taken more seriously if you do them really well. If not wait a week and call back. Don't give up that easily. Also if that doesn't work try disputing with the CRA maybe that will work.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Offer to buy the account from them if they own it.

How would I go about doing that, I am a little confused???

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Molly, I am trying to think of the perfect wording for this letter, any goo suggestions out there????

Thanks

8. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

You might have answered this before, but have you disputed this account with the CRA? There's always the possibility that the collection agency won't respond to the CRA's investigation.

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

No I haven't. I know that's the first thing I should have done, DUH. But I noticed on his reports the last time they updated was 9/00, so I'm sure they will verify but heck it's worth a shot!

10. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

Mom,

Question for you. If I understand correctly, a paid collection account looks just as bad as an unpaid one on your credit reports. Now, if I am wrong about that, then the rest of this message is irrelevant. If the above is the case, however, then why on earth would you pay a collection account without an agreement to delete it? After all, it would seem to me that you hold the cards. You have what they want...payment. They, however, have nothing that you want, since it won't make a bit of difference credit-wise. So why would you pay them until they agreed to your terms?

Unless, of course, I am wrong. It's happened a time or two. :)

Good luck,
    MO

11. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Perhaps I didn't understand. I was thinking Mom had paid the collection already. If not, and the collection agency isn't interested in working out a deal to delete it, then damned if I'd pay it!

A paid collection is just as negative as a charge-off. The only way I'd pay it is if a major lender demanded I pay it before approving a mortgage. Otherwise, screw them!

If you've made yourself known at a collection agency by trying to work out a deal, it's best to wait a little while before trying to dispute the debt. The employee turnover at collection agencies is so freakin' high, they won't have a clue about who you are in a couple months.