What are the 10 Best CC?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jfpruitt, Jun 23, 2001.

1. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

For "normal" people making less than 100K a year, what are the top CC's to have? The so called.."cream of the crop"??? Anyone know???

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

What might be best for you may not be best for someone else. It depends on what you're looking for--low APR, rewards, high limit, etc. If you're talking about customer service, some of the best would be AMEX, Citibank, and MBNA.

3. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

The best for me are: Amex, Citibank, and USAA.

All have low rates, and great customer service.

Good Luck

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Reshod,

What did it take to get the USAA card? I have my insurance with USAA Casualty. Do you use their bank also?

Thanks for any info.

breeze

5. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Breeze

Yes, I bank there, carry insurance with them and have my highest CC with USAA. They are really great!

I cant complain.

When I got the USAA CC, it was over a year ago.

My initial limit was 1K, over a 1 month time frame, I have gone from 1K to 8.2K.

How many banks are willing to do that? Not very many!

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Breeze

Do you have any idea about their underwriting criteria?

Thanks,

breeze

7. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I think Chase. I have 4 accounts with them and the lowest limit is $10,000. Then MBNA, Citi, First Union, Fleet, First USA, Associates. I have them all, they all have high limits and offer lots of teaser rates.

www.creditsense.com

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the underwriting.

And my last post has a typo, It should state 1K-8.2K in a little over 1 year.

9. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I love these threads - as long as everyone shares current info, it's useful for those shopping around.

My best, for "ease of application" / ability to look beyond the score---

NextCard
    Automatically approved me with a $10k limit - and added $2k to it after 6 months. Excellent rate (prime + .49 --- unfortunately, they upped it to 9.99 fixed now).

Bank of America
    Yup - you read right. They were willing to override their systems to evaluate an application with a BK (medical - no consumer debt). Most others automatically reject and can't go deeper. It took a while to get a good rate, but they did come down for a bal xfer offer of prime for life.

FNANB
    High rate at first, but they came down to 16.49 later. No gimmicks (like paying a fee for higher credit lines) - every 4 months a generous increase.

My best for overall features & customer service ---

Citibank Diners Club
    Never a computer voice (unless you call the computer voice number) ... always a person who can resolve just about any problem. 2 months to pay, great rewards, excellent card for traveling (not as good as Amex for retail).

Amex
    'nuff said. They're a tie with Diners for awesome service. Not as good for rewards, but better acceptance evens it out. Best value guarantee, buyers protection have paid me handsomely. Blue is a great no-nonsense revolving card at 9.99 - Gold Rewards Plus really racks up the membership rewards points if you travel.

First National/Omaha
    Good midwestern bank, high lines, low rates, great customer service.

Chase
    Great products - always offering a low balance xfer. My Visa is 20 months old and has never been over 6.9% ... and the Shell rewards card is one of the best deals in town -- 5% rebate on gas (1% on everything else) __and__ a 13.49% rate.

Fleet
    Our primary bank is Fleet, so it earns us higher status with the bank (and lower rates on other products). Initial 7.99 was awesome - now it's around 9 - but they offer frequent "5.9 for 6 months" deals.

Cards I __DON'T LIKE__

Discover - stingy with credit line increases, rates move and require threats of closing the account to go to reasonable levels (if 13.99 is reasonable).

Providian - like I'm gonna pay for a credit line increase. I do like the clear card, through, for cool-factor only.

10. CF

CF Active Member

My personal best are Citi, Providian and Discover.

Citi-0% on balance transfers until 3/2002
    Providian- 2 Gold cards, they lowered apr because I called and asked and they raised my limit on my visa to over $8K.
    Discover-1.9% on balance transfers

CF