What card to get next (Please help)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, May 8, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

This is for a friend.

this person has:

citibank 9 months old $1800
    Cap 1 secured $600 (1 year old)
    Car loan $30K 6 months old
    Macys Premier $1000 1 year old
    Household (rooms to go) $2500 1 month old.

What would be the next logical card to apply for low
    interest reasonable line? I was thinking a second citibank card product?

2. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

If the credit is damaged, like it sounds like it is, his best bet for a better card is to go with a lender like Citibank who may overlook a low score based on their personal experience with the lender. This was certainly the case at Chase a few years back.

If limits and APRs are the most important thing this is a good bet. He may also have some luck with Capital One.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

no damage to credit, just 12 months of total credit history under the belt.

The citibank is platinum select, the rooms to go is 0% finance for 18 months. I had the person get the secured cap 1 as a first card, and it helped get the citibank platinum select after a few months later..

4. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Chase or Nextcard

5. jean1221

jean1221 Well-Known Member

Try MBNA.

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Your friend doesn't need anymore tradelines. Excessive inquiries and new tradelines would kill his score, at least in the short run. But he could use upgraded cards.

For Citi, have him call and ask for Retention. They've done a great job increasing lines for Reg's here (Jo's line went from $1K to $28K within less than a year!!!). They do pull inquiries though. As for lower APR's, we've had quite a few reported reductions approved by ordinary CR reps.

For Capital One, having had their card for a year, his cure is clearly Mr. Miller. More than 10 Regs here called him, some more than once, with a 100% success rate. But always speak w/ Retention before calling him, you might get lucky and save his number for TRULY rainy days.

For Macy's, have him call them and ask to speak with Credit Granting Dept. If his account is in good standing and didn't get an increase in the last 3 months, they'd probably increase it on the spot no questions asked.

Saar

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I agree w/ Saar

I would also suggest getting that Cap1 card unsecured some how.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

sam,
    Try BofA.

Ron