What CC offers did you get today?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dlo64, Jul 30, 2001.

1. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Today I came home and in my mailbox were three credit card solicitations.

The first one was a "pre-qualification" (first time I ever received a pre-qualification) for a My Points Mastercard. Terms variable APR of 19.75, a 25 day grace, no account opening fee, an account maintenance fee of $8.50 per year (.71 per month/fee assesed monthly), and here is the killer, an annual fee of $100. That's right $100. Into the shredder goes this one!

The Providian Visa (the clear one with the smart chip). This is the fourth time I have received this one. Each and every time it is the same offer. The only difference is the last two I received has my first name incorrect. This is the same misspelling that initially occured on my old Chadwicks card (so I know where this one originated). The APR is 23.99%, a 25 day grace, and no annual fee. I had Providian in the past and really don't want another one.

The third one is for a Capital One Gold Visa card. It has a 0% intro rate through 1/02 and then a variable rate of 19.8% (but can increase to prime plus 16.4% currently equal to 24.4% if deliquent for more than 2 payment cycles). The annual fee is $39.00, a 25 day grace, and they want a $49.00 refundable security deposit. I'm kinda leaning toward this one, especially since I have heard their retention dept. is good, plus they are more generous with limit increases. The question I have is has anyone had their deposit refunded over time or if I go for this and am approved, will I have to do a Planet Feedback letter? Has anyone negotiated getting the $49 deposit waived? My husband just received a Gold Mastercard with no security deposit, but his yearly fee is $59 same credit situation (BK 7 last year) with the exception that I have more store cards (survived the BK because they were in good standing with zero balances). All current cards in good standing with no lates. Anyone with experiences regarding this card?

Thoughts? What offers did others on the board receive today?

2. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

I got one "pre-approved" from Rooms to Go. Must have known my youngest needs a new mattress set! Terms (I think) 21.49%, limit $3000. The only reason I haven't shredded it yet is the No Payments/No Interest until January 2003. The credit offer is good from August 4 to September 17 (why??), and I have to go the store to process the thing (yeah, like I want to get shot down in front of all those people!). Anyone who has this card care to comment? Issued by Household Bank.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

0% TILL 2003 SOUNDS GOOD...

If you see what they have to buy and they have a "WORK ORDER", approval is better than just saying APPROVE/DENY $3,000...

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

umm my gf got shot down online a month before, then got this offer. It's legit. We're using it. No interest nor payments till sep 2002. No retroactive interest. Just pay it off wheven you feel like it. Honest deal.

They make you pay the taxes as a down payment!
    They have the right to repossess the furniture for failure of payment (duh).

But all in all, they mean it when you get the offer. They've pulled your report somewhere, and if you apply in person, you get it.

We figured since the online denial a month earlier, we'd get embarassed. Nope $2500 limit.

Her credit was flawless, albeit about 8 months young.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I got an offer for First Premier's Mastercard...Oh YEY! :-\

I've received an offer from them before but this one was packaged differently. I just threw it down on the floor of my car after I saw $119 processing fee, annual membership fee $50, participation fee $72 annually (billed $6/mo), set up fee of either $29 (billed to your card) or $19 (mailed in w/ application). The apr was 18.9%.

They also wanted a copy of a recent utility bill or any other credit bill along with a paystub or proof of other income.

MOM.....send bunny QUICK! :-o

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

sam
    They have the right to repossess the furniture for failure of payment (duh).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out that SEARS has the same words...so SEARS is a SECURED CARD...(secured by the tv or vcr or washer/dryer or freezer, etc.

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey we have NEVER heard from Cross Country again he he.

I got the famous Cap one gold card, you know the one with the fake card they send that says your name here LOL. I trashed it of course, also got invitation to apply for discover, trashed and that darn action card from bank one that sends hubby and I these offers MONTHLY I see the pull s soft one EVERY month from Experian, guess I will have to send them a present LOL:)

8. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hey George and sam,
    Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll go for it!

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'm NOT saying SEARS is bad...I still use the card for 10% off days and 0% for a given number of months...

I JUST COULDN'T BELIVE SEARS WOULD BE A SECURED CARD...

10. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I just canceled my sears card today, because it has too high of an interest rate, and I never used it. Plus, the secured thing doesn't impress me either. On top of that, I practically had to YELL at them to cancel the account, but it was done FINALLY!

-Matty

11. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

I also got the seemingly bi-weekly offer from First Premier. It's one of the worst offers available from anyone out there. They charge big bucks for almost everything. I'd rather get a secured card than ever use their card. I get a letter from them at least once a month.

12. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Offer for a Lowe's card (Monogram Bank) at 21% but only 13.9 if I spend an obscene amount of money right away. No payments and interest-free for 6 months.

Citbank no-fee balance transfer and cash advance checks at 6.9 forever. Identical solicitations for separate accounts.

More balance transfer checks from MBNA but without any special offers as to rates-- and fees will be charged.

My monthly Capital One statement for an account I closed twelve months ago with a -0- balance. Shows credit limit 5K, no balance due, no transactions during the statement period and no APR.

That's about it for today from the credit card world.

13. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

This was a few days ago, Chase Platinum MC. I trashed it, I already have too much credit...

14. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Credit Corp., LOL....I didn't even know they were still around!!

15. sam

sam Well-Known Member

hmm something 100% guaranteed approval (trash)

got a paypal visa,spiegel, radio shack, another cap 1 card in the mail.

I guess i went crazy a bit ago. At least this will help my debt/ratio for right now, way too high. By crimmas i'll be able to be down to 0% (then charge it back up for crimmas!)

heh
    sucks

16. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

I got a prequalified offer for associates national bank credit limit to 4k. APR for purchases was 24.9. Into the trash it went. Same day wife got preapproved aspire offer. Ididnt even bother looking at terms trashed it.