what credit card co.pulls EX.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tommyy, Oct 10, 2001.

1. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what Credit Card co. pulls Experian in Ohio (if possible) or any state.
    I checked millcbs.com and there is not much in the database. Thanks

2. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Tommyy,

I reside in Western PA, which is serviced by a local affilate of Experian, the Credit Bureau. Here is what I am finding out, through trial and error. It seems since I reside in an area that there is a local affilate office, almost everytime I apply for credit Experian is pulled.

There have been a few exceptions: FCNB (Spiegel) seems to pull Trans Union Exclusively. I just applied for Best Buy (Household Retail Services) online, they pulled Trans Union and I received a 2K line, and I have a Bachrach credit card, they use Equifax exclusively.

My Trans Union and Equifax scores are very high 600's and low 700's, yet I cannot get a "prime" credit card. I too have checked the mbs board to see which bureau a credit card company pulls. Every single time I apply, no matter what is listed, Experian is pulled for me. Experian is my worst report.

That is one thing I would like to see on the mbs board. How the person applied, online or via some sort of solicitation.

Here is why, I am a Credit and Activations Manager for the largest wireless carrier in the world. Here is how it works (I know scarey considering when I started my credit was TRASHED!). When you go into a store and apply for wireless service, they call my department. A representative takes the call, and pulls a credit report. We don't get the complete report, we get the credit score. Based on that number we determine if you will get the phone free and clear, OR if a deposit will be assessed. The credit report is pulled from any local affilate first, if there isn't one, then we use Equifax. So, when you give the information, based on your address that will determine which bureau we pull. If you reside in Philly, we will pull Trans Union. If you live in Western PA we will pull Experian.

That being said, If you go to one of our indirect outlets, they do something completely different than what we do. They may pull trans union only. They don't go by address like we do. I know bizzare and confusing but thats how it works.

I applied for Citi, Chase, Discover, American Express, Target, MBNA and others, according to the mbs site they should have pulled Equifax or TU for me as I reside in western PA. They ALL pulled Experian exclusively for me. They didn't pull Trans Union or Equifax. I have never been told but, I think it's because I live in a area where there is a local affilate of Experian.

I didn't discover this until I recieved rejections. On every single letter they pulled Experian in western PA. Bottom line, if there is a local affiliate in your area, chances are that is the bureau most, not all creditors will use.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. anna

anna Well-Known Member

I DO!!! I also live in western PA and Experian and "The Credit Bureau" are making my life a living hell. No matter who anyone is supposed to pull, they ALWAYS pull Experian around here. (My worst report) Also, it is impossible to dispute on-line. You must mail to The Credit Bureau, and they request everything but your fingerprints before they send anything. It takes five times longer to get anything accomplished with these fine people. On top of that, they recently re- inserted a bad item on my report without notifying me. Transunion is my best, but no one ever pulls THEM. Experian sux!

4. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. There is a local Equifax office where I live, and almost everyone pulls Equifax on me. It is my worst report BECAUSE of the local office. I have found it to be much more difficult to get anything done with the smaller local office.

I was going to ask this question myself. I need a cc company that pulls either EX or TU!

Tommyy - I also iive in Ohio.I have not applied for many cards and have not found any that only pull EX. Kohls, Lowes, Chase Manhattan and Nextcard only pull TU. Federated, Target (Retailer's National), Home Depot (MBGA), Sprint, and ANB/Shell oil only pull EQ.

Have you applied for anything that only pulled one CRA, other than the ones I have listed?

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Count me in, too. The local bureau is in Fredericksburg. Guess who gets pulled time and time again...Equifax. Inquiries - Equifax (3), TransUnion (0), Experian (0). Well, the mortgage lender pulled all three, but I didn't count those. In my five years of credit history no one has ever pulled TransUnion and only one has pulled Experian. Amazing.

Dani

6. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Dani,

I'm curious - have you applied to any of the companies that only pulled TU on me?

Kohls
    Lowes
    Chase Manhattan
    Nextcard

And First USA, which only pulled EX and TU on me.

7. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Done! I just added it about half an hour ago, per your suggestion (we aim to please!). Of course, I don't have the info to update any EXISTING inquiries, but any NEW inquiries that are added will have this info.
    You must have misread the results. If you look at the existing data on www.millcbs.com, you will see that, during the past 12 months, the figures for inquiries added to the MCBS for the state of Pennsylvania break down as such:

Experian: 22
    Equifax: 10
    Trans Union: 28

If you live in Pennsylvania, odds are a creditor will pull Experian or TU before they pull Equifax. And just as you stated, they all pulled Experian.

To make the data on MillCBS easier to understand and use, I have added a counter at the bottom of the search results page. Now, not only will you see the total number of inquiries in your search results, but you'll see that same total number broken down BY CRA.

Hope this helps!

8. jshimmer

Everyone -- be sure to add all these inquiries to the MillCBS database!

Thanks!

9. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Terri,

Hubby and I have never applied for those cards as of yet. After we move into our home next month hubby wants a Chase or Citibank card. He tells me he's tired of going to play golf and none of the golf courses takes Discover or Amex (which is all we have). So I'll keep you updated.

Dani

10. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply Terry,
    I live in northeastern Ohio and just applied for a Best Buy card and the CITI AA card. Both pulled TU. Just down the street we have a Equifax affiliate. The closest TU shop is in PA which is a few hundred miles away. CC companies always seem to pull TU for me and never EX.

11. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

I have been unsuccesful finding one company that pulls from only one CRA. I've tried calling the different banks, etc. to get a feel what report they pull, etc. and almost all of them say they rotate amongst the 3 CRAs and they have no idea which one could be pulled. I do agree with maybe it being a local decision. The two closest CRAs to where I live are EQ and TU and these are the two always pulled on me and never EX.

12. monicagee

monicagee Well-Known Member

Anyone living in Maryland/DC Metro area have any experiences in what CRA is pulled more than another?

13. jshimmer

By calling the lender and asking "which CRA do you use" is pretty silly. You're basically asking which CRA they use so that you can apply IF they only pull your GOOD history. This is a GREAT concept, and the purpose of www.millcbs.com - but it's not something you need bother asking the LENDER.

This tells the lender that potentially marginal risk people are trying to use the info to get a credit card / loan from THEM. Why would they tell you the truth when it could cost them money? For example, they tell you "we use TU for your area". They have just increased their chance of lending money to someone who is, more than likely, more of a credit risk because he/she is LOOKING for a lender who uses a particular CRA because his/her OTHER credit histories are HORRIBLE. If I were a lender, I wouldn't tell you who I use. Or I'd just say "we change all the time".

Again, that's where www.millcbs.com comes in. The lender's can't change HISTORY. They can't change the fact that we're collection activity on who they DID pull, and with that data, try to predict who they may use in the future.