What Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bohemian, Apr 16, 2001.

1. bohemian

bohemian Guest

I have a Capital One card, and a FCNB. We need another card, we really only qualify for secured. Can anyone recommend another good secured? We had a Providian charge off 2 years ago so they are not an option.

2. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

You could try another Capital One card! If you have one in good standing, you usually have a shot at getting another card.

Another option:

http://www.fnanb.com

I have been very happy with them so far :)
    - They faithfully report to all 3 bureaus
    - Reasonable APR
    - Regular cl increases
    - Post payments in timely manner and good CS

Good Luck,

Chet

3. bohemian

bohemian Guest

It looks like they are cards for people with good credit? I don't see that they offer secured cards.

4. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

I had a Capital One card for more then 5 years. The credit limit went up to $5,200. I usually had less then $300.00 on it. Over the years I have called many times asking if they had any low interest transfers for me. They have always said NO. I have asked if my interest rate could be lowered (it's always been 15.9%)they have always said NO. I called yesterday to ask these questions, they said NO. I was charged an $18.00 membership fee, I asked if this could be waived, I was told No. I told the girl this account was of no use to me any longer and I wanted to close it. She said OK, it's closed. I can't believe I wasn't transferred to a higher up, to try to talk me out of it. I have a balance of $220.00 right now. Does anyone think my account is really closed? After all these years of business with them they just drop me like they didn't care. Will it help keep my credit good now that I don't have that extra $5,200. of available credit on my credit report? Thanks for any help. By the way don't go anywhere near First USA. BAD,BAD,BAD.

5. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Nelsonfan, I don't think the $5200 would even show up on your report because Cap1 doesn't report limits. Closing this account should help your debt ratio though, which is good.

6. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

Call Capital One and ask them if you will be charged a fee if you wrote an "access check" for $5,000. If the fees add up to be minimal, you could always deposit the check into your checking account for a month. Capital One will report your "credit high" to all three CRAs as $5,000. Then, once you receive your bill, pay it off.

CardKid

7. MikeB

MikeB Banned

File a complaint with planetfeedback.com. Explain everything. CapOne is good about responding back fast.
    I bet it will be worth your time.
    You can send copies of account statements to the CRAs to add the credit limits (maybe).

MikeB

8. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

The question is do I want that much more credit available to me? I have 8 major cards. (STUPID, I KNOW) In what way does it help me? Or is it hurting me? My total available limit is something around $60.000.00. I don't make (income) anything near that. Most of my interest rates are low (1-7.9%--2-9.9%) the other higher ones have low balances. I have had all these cards for more then 4 years. The reason I have so many cards is because about 3 or 4 years ago I learned about balance transfers and I got very good at it. That's how I got 7.9% fixed on my Providian card. First USA just raised my rate from 9.9% fixed to 16.49% variable. I've had this card for years, no late payments. I have sent one letter and called twice. (I have tried to transfer to my other cards, but none of them will do it.) Should I try the planetfeedback.com site? What exactly should I say. I feel silly asking them for the same thing they just sent me a letter saying 'no' to. I'm going to go make a new post with this question on it. Thanks for all your help and good advice.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I recommend Citibank secured card and Bank Of America secured card. Citibank got customer services and Bank Of America report to all 3 bureaus monthly. Bank Of America also got good customer services not as good as Citibank. By the way, Citibank require applicant doesn't have any deliquent account and didn't have any charge-off acounts with them previously and never file any chapter 7. Bank Of America has no annual fee secured cards and I don't know Citibank charge any annual fees. I have both cards from Citibank and Bank Of America for more than a year.

Ron.