What do I do next? Equifax (CSC)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rmk1825, Jun 19, 2001.

1. rmk1825

rmk1825 Member

Hello,

Here is my situation. I wrote to CSC (Equifax) a little over a month ago. I asked them to provide me verification of two accounts. One of these accounts is mine, but has been paid/charged off for about 3 years ago. It was with Computer City which has gone out of business and is not CompUSA. The other account IS NOT mine. It is my Dad's account. Anyway, they wrote me back and told me that both accounts were VERIFIED to be mine and I can write them back to find out who or what telephone number they used to contact whoever verified the accounts. I am writing now to find out what do I do next? I have not written for these contacts yet. I thought I have read something that if I request who they verified my accounts from them and they do not send this to me in 5 business days, then they have to remove this from my account. Is this correct? If so, what law is this from and where is it? If not, then what should I do??? I want at least one of these accounts removed if not both!

Thanks!

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

rmk,

This is the law...
    http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra.htm#611 a.6.B.

(iii) a notice that, if requested by the consumer, a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information shall be provided to the consumer by the agency, including the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted in connection with such information and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available;

They don't have to delete it after they do this. But you will certainly have them over a barrel if they tell you who they verified this with when you know it is not correct and they could not have verified it. Then you can threaten them with a lawsuit. Small claims court is popular but has it's drawbacks. Seems to have worked for a couple of people. I guess it doesn't sually get that far. Probably once they realize you are calling their bluff, they will delete.

breeze

3. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Are your dispute with a credit reporting agency or a collector? Is CSC a collector in this case?