What do you know about MBNA?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angela, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Angela

Angela Guest

I got an ad from them to apply for a credit card. It is a strange ad as it is not preapproved but is has a good interest rate and no annual fee. However it has no grace period and balance transfers to the card would cost me money. I already have providian and cap1. Tell me what you know about MBNA. I am thinking about throwing the ad out.

Please Junum. remove those 3 chargeoffs so I can get good offers.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: What do you know about MBN

A TOP 10 CREDIT CARD ISSUER.

They issue 100's of co-branded credit cards.

I have been a card holder for 6+ years no problems (when they sent me notice that my interest rate is going up I declined their offer...they reduced my rate instead).

http://www.mbnaAMERICA.COM/credit_index.html

F.Y.I. I have been to the owner's house on the MAINE coast (even says MBNA on the lawn).

3. Angela

Angela Guest

That they were increasing your interest rate is odd. Are these guys prime or subprime or in outer space? I have never seen an offer like this. I get the impression that they are legit. but do they play by the same rules as everyone else?

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

MBNA is a reputable company but I would hesitate to accept a card with no grace period from a prime company.

5. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

MBNA is a good company, but I would place it below Citibank, Amex, Chase etc...
    Are you sure they don't give you a grace period? It's the first time I'm hearing this abuot them... only Providian do something like this.

Anyway, the bottom line is they are generous with credit lines but love to charge fees :))

6. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I received a similar offer from MBNA--no annual fee, low interest, no preset credit limit but also no grace period. I trashed it.

7. Angela

Angela Guest

Since you got one too, I suspect this is a mass mailing that is including some credit damaged people like myself. What I am afraid of is that if I apply I will get an inquiry but no card.

8. dave

dave Well-Known Member

i did not get the impression this offer was targeting the subprime market. it was a world mastercard, preapproved with a low rate and no annual fee. i had to read the fine print to find out that the card had no grace period.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THAT WAS ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO WHEN INTEREST RATES WERE ON THE RISE...

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They are probably sending up a "TRIAL BALOON" to see if you bite (RE:NO GRACE PERIOD)

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Angela

If I remember correctly you have 3 charge offs?? I thought I read that you were trying to get Junum to help?? If so I would NOT apply for this, I think you should trash it and save an inquiry.

Mom