What does the law say about th

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Santos, Jun 4, 2000.

1. Santos

Santos Guest

I recently had a discussion with a colleague about the widespread use of our social security number for ID purposes. As far as I understand it, the only organizations which can legally require you to provide them your ss number are the IRS and the SS administration. Even federal forms which ask fo the ss number have a note explaining their authority to ask for it. How on earth then did we get to the point that all credit bureaus, banks and stores use and share out ss numbers as if they were out phone numbers? since when do they have the authority to collect such information? I dont remember ever giving me ss number to any credit agency, so it follows that the number and all related information was provided to them by the banks. Now, isn't this illegal? If anyone has any legal information about this I would like to hear it. Thank you.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: What does the law say abou

I don't know the laws, but trying living in the state of Virginia as I do. Our ss number is our drivers license, and I hate that!!

3. CardReport

CardReport Guest

RE: What does the law say abou

You are only "required" to disclose the number to the IRS and the Social Security Administration. Other government agencies can "request" it, often with the intention of cross-matching records (e.g. welfare, driver's licenses, child support enforcement, etc.)

While the "Know Your Customer" initiative was supposedly defeated, it is really already in practice. Banks are required to obtain your Social Security Number in relation to deposit accounts. One purpose is cross-matching with tax delinquencies, etc, along with reporting "suspicous" activity to the feds. The government wants to keep track of everyone's money, so they can seize it whenever they think they have an excuse.

Non-governement entities (e.g. landlords, etc.) are allowed to "ask" for your SSN. You aren't legally "required" to disclose it, but they can simply refuse to do business with you if you don't. That is how banks and other organizations get the "authority" to collect the information. They then get the "authority" to share it by the fine print of the contract that you must agree to in order to open an account. ("You agree that we may share information about you and your account history with others, etc. etc.")

An important piece of legal information is the *absence* of certain laws:

There is *no* law requiring you to participate in the bankrupt Social Security ponzi scheme.

There is *no* law holding people to contracts (e.g. SSN applications) that were established before they turned eighteen years old.

There is *no* law holding people to contracts under which they are being defrauded (e.g. participating in ponzi schemes.)

There is *no* law requiring you to have or use a Social Security Number.

CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference
    http://www.cardreport.com/