what has happened here...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by river, May 16, 2001.

1. river

river Well-Known Member

to this board? It has gotten SO repetitive. Same handful of folks going over and over the same questions and answers.What happened to 90% of the regulars who had great info and advice? All these "new" members seem to know so much,but "so little". I have stop posting a couple months back and been lurking and reading some of the advice given by these "new" folks and am astounded by how little they really know.The real only good change to board is that you can keep out the harrassers,but it seems that some posts get priority than others. Your post is here today and somewhere else tomorrow.Don't get the new board concept.There are a few "new" members who are being mislead by "quote" qualify "new" members and I see dissappointing results being posted. Does anyone else agree with me? Will continue to lurk.By the way,just wanted to say hello to all the "old" regular here.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Hi Riv,
    I thought you forgot about us. I havenot been here THAT long but I can tell you that you old timers are really missed. You guys need to come back and TAKE BACK the board.

And of course others agree w/ you. They just lurk like you do.

3. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

river:

It's apparent that you are/were a fixture on this board. In light of this, I would think you'd welcome and be more understanding and patient with the new members/visitors of this forum...we all started somewhere..

Please don't belittle those of us who don't have the vast knowledge that the "old timers" have. We're not trying to harm anyone, and would like a little encouragement once in a while vs. being berated for our attempts at assistance.

This isn't a flame or meant to be insulting...just a reminder that we're all on the same team..but some of us haven't been playing as long as others.

Thanks.

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I'm not an "old" member but I can agree with you River. A lot of "new" members are coming and giving some "not so great advice".

I don't particularly give advice...I post comments, questions and updates on my situation. If I do offer up advice, I do make sure to say, "This is how it worked for me", listing all the details. I think people should be VERY VERY careful when posting advice on the board. I get very afraid for people who really need help and someone posts something like, "Just write a letter and say it's not yours...that should work", without trying to truly guide the person (i.e. getting all the details, etc).

Word to the wise (and newcomers), be leary of anyone who shoots off answer to questions they can't possibly answer because of lack of information. Also, whatever info you get, please please try to valid it with other avenues. The ramifications of a mistake could be disastrous.

5. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Would it not be more responsible and helpful to add some constructive advice to the dialog rather than whine about how good it used to be? Living in the past is not conducive to good mental health.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Wow! I really am sorry if I (as a fairly new member) have diminished the board. It would be the last thing I would want to do as I find this board invaluable.

So, if I'm part of this (and I fit the description), I completely apologize. I guess I thought the board was open, even to new people.

Rather than cause any harm to such a positive place, I would much rather remain a lurker.

On another note, I have to admit to feeling personally sad that I need to go. I've grown attached to some people here. And, even in the short time here, I've seen repetition but I assumed that it was because someone new to the board is likely beginning the process and needs information that the "old-timers" have. I didn't ever think of it as a cause of irritation. So, on that note, I apologize for possibly asking a question that might have been asked before in the time I wasn't a member.

In summary, please accept my profound apologies. My sincerest wishes for everyone's success.

::::::::::transformation to lurker taking place - (hmmm...looks like a twilight zone show here..LOL)::::::::::::::

7. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

Let's not get all crazy about "old-timers" and "new" members. Information on these types of boards is, by its very nature, imprecise and imperfect. BUT, the more people you have on, the bigger base of knowledge there is, and the more likely it is that someone will step up and respond to a post that gives bad advice with "wait a second, I think that's wrong."

We all bring a different perspective and different experiences. For example, I never knew that you could call and get credit limit increases without a hard inquiry appearing on your report. Thanks to thsi board, now I know -- and I've taken advantage of it. On the other hand, I do know quite a bit about the law, so when someone says something misleading like "they CAN'T file suit after the statute of limitations runs," I'm quick to jump in to make sure that whoever asked for help doesn't get the wrong idea.

Discouraging participation is simply not a good idea.

Squawk1200

Oh, and NanaC -- The Avs will get past the Blues . . . but they ain't taking the Cup from the Devils!!

8. Shantel

Squawk....

I don't think anyone is trying to limit participation. I think you're reading into my statement too much. (if you were directing it towards me).

If, for instance, someone says something that's clearly incorrect, and you come back and say, "Hey, I don't think that's accurate, blah blah blah"...that's GREAT!!! That's what we need. But you can't be in every post on the board "correcting" incorrect information.

And yes the nature of the board is that some info will be imperfect, but for someone who knows NOTHING, coming to a board about CREDIT, asking a question and getting answers, what do you think they are going to do? If they thought everyone here didn't know what they were saying, they wouldn't post. And if you're new, how do you know who to trust?

It's a catch-22. My statement is ONLY to remind people that all the info here isn't accurate and to be mindful when applicable.

9. Shantel

Oh yeah, and Nana....quit it! :)

10. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Nana, don't take those comments personally. You have become a valuable member of this board. We need people to post their progress and what they've learned along the way.

River, it would help if you would join us again and if you see something that you know is incorrect, say so. We definitely need the old wise members, but don't forget that we all started out as newbies at one time or another.

11. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Shantel,
    That was well said.

A few months ago, when I found this forum, I know very little about the credit repair/rebuilding process. After reading information on this board from regulars and non-regulars, it is very clear to me what information is correct. However, the new posters may not. That is why there are forums like this one, where people can LEARN about the ways things worked for other people.

I don't claim that the things I say are perfect in every way, but I try to brainstorm possible solutions. I think that by brainstorming there can be a correct or near correct answer to someone's problem. If there wasn't this factor in this board, we would get absolutely nowhere.

I feel that the answers given may work for a particular problem, but not every situation is the same. That is where misinformation lies. Also, there are some people that solely rely on the information given on this board, and they fail to LEARN as much as possible BEFORE going through with the answer given.

This board is an asset, but not if you don't take it upon yourself to research what actions you are taking. I look at it as an additional tool to the books and other things that I have learned, and don't take everyone's advice to heart.

If we all lurk, we could be missing out on valuable information and experiences that others have had happen.

Maybe we all need to think before we react.

Just my two cents.

12. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

Shantel --

My post was not directed at you; I agree with much of what you wrote in both of your posts. And I especially agree with and applaud Erica's post.

All I was trying to say is that when anyone starts dividing the participants into "old timers" and "new" posters and starts talking about how the "new" posters don't know anything, they're discouraging participation by new members -- which I don't think is a good thing.

13. Shantel

Excellent point Squawk. From now on, I think I'll use the words "less experienced" and "more experienced". Just because you're just posting or you just found this board doesn't mean you don't have any insight based on your own credit restoration/rebuilding experiences.

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

neither do I

15. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Hmmm I would like for those of you

who have gotten their credit repaired to come back to the board and help those of us who are still struggling.

But like everyone else who makes it "big" in the world you forget where you came from. Give back to the "community board". ;o)

16. Shantel

Re: Hmmm I would like for those of you

Mother2...what a riot! Sounds like you have a point there! :)

17. tareco

tareco Well-Known Member

"Take Back the Board??? What is THAT supposed to mean?? Like some others on this board, I usually ask questions and on occassion comment on my personal experience. I don't offer a lot of advice. In my opinion, this board is so others can share their experience and others can choose what advice if any they would like to take.
    Unfortunately, there are a few on this board who are under the misguided impression that they "own" it. Actually going so far as to criticize others because they question or don't take the advice offered. Some egos are getting awfully big around here. And while I always welcome advice and suggestions from others I do not appreciate the judging and name calling that occurs. I have been observing and participating for much longer than appears because I have used different names in the past. So don't be fooled.

I was recently the subject of criticism of someone on this board who seems to think they are infallible and know all! I was critcized, judged, name calling, etc. This particular person has been accused of this type of behavior in the past actually said they were leaving the board permanently as a result. I, along with others, DEFENDED this person and asked them to stay. In my opinion, that was a mistake. Because now, their head is bigger than ever and I regret being a part of his/her inflated ego! And then for this person to turn around and attack me???

Maybe those of you who think this board is full of people who are too "inexperienced" should start your own board!

I welcome the experience from those "experienced" posters, but I say BRING ON THE NEW POSTERS!! ALL ARE WELCOME!!

If you don't want to read a question you feel is repetitive, you can just NOT READ IT!!!!

18. roni

roni Well-Known Member

How did I know that You guys would respond to River's perfectly honest statement that way. River did not name anyone in particular but however made a HONEST observation.

The point is this: Not all information that is coming on this board now is correct. Kristi was always here in the past to keep things in order. She however is NOT available as much now for whatever reason. Some people who were here for a long time who gained incredible knowledge from people like Kristi do post. However, sometimes someone else shooting off the lip about this and that, clouds out some posters responses. Everyone can post. No one is trying to say that you cant. But I can say in particular there was a case recently were I myself and 3 other posters were making a point and someone came long and directed the new comer in a total other direction. I hope he made the BETTER choice. Which is Better? The one that I agree w/ of course....lol

Lighten up! If you want to be mad about something get mad w/ Providian for how they treated me. Ok? I guess not!

Smoochies,

19. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Like Roni said - everyone lighten up. I had not planned to be here any longer as my credit is pretty much restored. But there are still things for me to learn and to share with others. I am appreciative of the help I have received here.

NanaC - you should stay. You are helpful and your posts about Junum for example are needed.

20. Shantel

Jim...
    I miss you man...how's it goin?