What if I marry someone with b

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marcie, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Marcie

Marcie Guest

I have excellent credit, and he has really bad credit (he owes the IRS $1000's). What happens if we marry? Is there a way to protect my credit rating?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: What if I marry someone wi

He won't mess your credit up. But if you apply "JOINT" or married ie a house or car loan, and you reference his credit, you'll get denied :)

sam

3. Shania

Shania Guest

My hubby has very bad credit also. The only thing we filed jointly on was our car the day after we married and it wound up costing us a 23.9% APR for 5 years at $421.98 a month. The car was only $14K. His creditors have my name as his wife and they try to get me to pay his bill if he is not around when they call, but I tell them he had that crap before we married and if they want their money talk to him not me. As for me personally, I have good credit, a bit too much credit but I was able to get him a computer in my name and with me having good credit I am able to get the things we need as long as I don't include him in the accounts. So don't worry they can not make you give his creditors money since they are not accounts in your name even though you two will marry.

4. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

You should be alright as long as you don't file jointly, though as Shania has mentioned that won't stop unethical creditors from attempting to harass and collect off of you; ignore them.

Your only liability would be if you live in a communal state. If he defaults on his debts they will have the authority to come after you.

You may want to refer to a family lawyer to garner all the facts and retain your rights.

5. Shania

Shania Guest

Yup. The creditors think that just because you married a bad credit person that you automatically owe them too. DON'T FALL FOR IT! They can not bother you as long as you are not on any of his bills. Remember you are marrying him not his bills, they were an unwanted bonus to your marriage.

6. John Debto

John Debto Guest

Don't marry someone with bad c

Why does he owe the IRS thousands? I hope it does not reflect on his character.

7. Marcie

Marcie Guest

RE: Don't marry someone with b

His business at the time was audited the same year his breifcase was stolen containing all of his tax records, receipts etc. He may be a little bitter about it, but he really is a good person. Thanks for your concern though.

8. Shania

Shania Guest

RE: Don't marry someone with b

Hope it will all go well for you Marcie. :)

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I work for a major financial institution. When married people apply for a loan jointly, we take the higher credit score. Your husband may have incredibly bad credit, but as long as your credit is good, we will take your score and that also means you will get a better rate.