What is my next step?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Sandra, May 1, 2000.

1. Sandra

Sandra Guest

I sent a "prove it or remove it" letter to a creditor and have received no response after more than 45 days of sending the letter. I did sent it return receipt and have my receipt showing where they did receive it. What is my next step? What recourse do I have? Also, I sent another letter to another creditor offering to settle a debt and have received no reply from them either. (also sent return receipt and confirmed that they received it) What should I do next? Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Try disputing the item with the the credit bureaus that list it. Find some aspect of it that is innacurate, etc. They will remove it if the credit doesn't respond with a "reasonable period" usally 30 days. There are books that are filled with ideas on credit repair. Suggest you read up before trying any more disputes. You don't want them to consider your dispute frivilous.
    Mind you, I'm not an expert here, but I am learning. Also, a friend of mine once used a credit repair service and, within two years, went from terrible (BK etc) to very good. They got it all removed. I am on the fence as to whether I'd use such a service.

3. Irish

Irish Guest

I work for a collection company, and the 30 day clock starts ticking from the date they received the letter (as noted on the return receipt all of us smart debtors put when corresponding with collection agencies and the CBs). Good luck!