What is the next step?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim S., Nov 28, 2000.

1. Jim S.

Jim S. Guest

About a month ago, I called for a copy of all of my credit reports. I was denied credit for having too many lates on my report which I could not understand since I have never paid anything late in my life.

I had found out there was an account that I never had with all of the lates. The account has since been closed and paid off. It looks incredibly odd since nothing else has ever been late. Of course, I wrote a letter to each of the bureaus challenging that the account is mine. I received responses from all the bureaus verifying the account is mine.

What should I do next? I think that I should find out how it was verified and talk to MBNA (the issuer of the account) directly. I think I know what the address on the account was which did not correspond to any place where I was living at the time. In fact I had a mastercard from MBNA at the time (which I still have) that was going to a totally different address. I am suprised this never flagged MBNA.

2. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Call MBNA and try to solve this issue amiably. The credit bureaus cannot do anything if the bank verifies the account.

So it's between you and the bank. Ask them to prove the account is yours. If they don't want to work with you, you can sue for slander...

But normaly, once they realised they made a mistake, they will correct it in your credit reports.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

You need to call MBNA and challenge it.

roni