What kind of advice are we giving?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by galabar, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galabar

galabar Banned

There are many posters on this board that can give precise, technical, and accurate information about how to remove a valid trade line, how to obtain additional credit for a boat or a car, or how to get that 2nd or 3rd mortgage. Information about Bankruptcy law and foreclosure is top notch. Folks have even figured out how to get Capitol 1 to report your actual credit limit on your bureau.

However, I don't see much critical information for those trying to obtain additional credit. I see folks trying to borrow themselves into oblivion and scores of posters willing to give them the length of rope they need to hang themselves.

With every answer about how to actually get that next debt, should there be some advice on why it might not be a good idea to go further into debt?

It seems to cut to the bone when there is even a mention of the possibility that the debtor may be getting himself in deeper than he can handle, or he has been spending "beyond his means." That term, especially, is tough to swallow: "beyond your means."

I, for one, think we need a shift. I'm going to continue to give advice that I think needs to be said. I'm sure there will be many that aren't going to like it, but I'm here, and I think I may actually be able to do some good. So, get used to it. :)

--Galabar

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

???????

3. rblues

rblues Well-Known Member

Well, I think Galabar makes a good point...at least I think so... Often, people are looking to get the next big credit card but they are doing so in an attempt to achieve the perfect debt to income ratio or they are trying to prove something to themselves because they can get credit now. Regardless, everyone is over 18 here (at least I hope so) and they know what kind of trouble they are getting into if they obtain more credit.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of other boards that deal with "living within your means," "frugal living," and "financial peace" - this board is not those boards - this board is about getting out of credit hell and achieving a good credit score, so you can get the best deals, the best cards, the best insurance rates, the best mortgage rates, etc.

If that is the kind of advice people are seeking, they will go to those boards. I don't know many people, who, having fought their way out of credit hell, will knowingly go back there. I think I've seen maybe 2 people from this board, who dug out, get back in over their heads.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY "BADDIES"...BUT I STILL DON'T HAVE A 100% ACCURATE CREDIT REPORT!!!

I am STILL looking for the "BEST" set of cards...

I am STILL looking for 800...

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I think Galabar may have a point in that posters here often brag about credit cards with high credit limits. On the other hand, it is almost universally accepted here that high utilization ratios are bad because they hurt your credit scores.

Most people here try to avoid debt, at least credit card debt, but more for pragmatic reasons than for moralistic reasons. In a sense, it's self-contradictory, because you want to avoid debt in order to get more and better credit, which you then try not to use. But in another sense it achieves the goal of staying out of debt just as well. It also makes the process a lot more fun, because you keep score in a positive way, with high CL's and low APR's, and not just by cutting up all yout credit cards.

If people really do have problems with compulsive spending, I wouldn't hesitate to advise them not to play the game. But most people don't have that problem, and in fact playing the game helps them get and stay out of debt. Low APR's make the process of repaying debt a lot more efficient.

BTW, there is a big difference between debt and credit. Debt is bondage. Credit is power.

7. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Galabar,

This board has worked wonders for thousands of people (I'm sure) before you got here so there's no need to "save the board". If we want advice on how to live within our means, we'll ask for it.

8. too much

too much Banned

Stunning.

9. 8004me

8004me Well-Known Member

I can see the point and agree that everyone has to have some financial restraint.
    I was one of the people that did not have a lot of baddies but did not have the right cards, the right mix or the understanding of what that meant to my financial situation.
    If it was not for understanding how FICO works, achieving acceptable utilizations through methods of applying or leveraging existing credit for the best rates and terms,.
    I would still have 2 credit cards a gas card with no education in what happens when I would max them out every 2 months or so when I was traveling always paid back down but it did affect FICO at those times.
    Maximizing my credit score I now have 0% credit cards, large limits and am driving a 1 year old used car at 0% all because of the help and education provided by the members of this board and some others.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Re: What kind of advice are we giving?

This is a good contribution to the thread, LOL.

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well said!!

12. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: What kind of advice are we giving?

I think you are expecting a little too much.

13. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Pathetic.

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of advice are we giving?

LKH, a little tit for tat:

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=363855#post363855

where the troll said:

15. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Some of the best

16. RichGuy

"Too Much" is not a normal poster to this board. He/she is a product of artificial selection which can only exist in the presence of troll-huggers.

Having been selected by CN management for special protection, "Too Much" is free to follow his/her natural preference, which is to disseminate innuendo and falsehood. However, despite his/her intention and that of the troll-huggers, this person can actually lead us to the truth.

Here's how: If "Too Much" makes a comment, simply assume that the opposite is true. If the comment is one of his /her lazy sarcasms, simply assume that it is not sarcastic. You will then be correct almost 100% of the time. This method is far more effective than most of the methods we usually use to determine the truth.

For example, "Too Much," with his/her minimal proficiency in English grammar, posted the word "stunning." Since it was intended to be sarcastic, we can conclude that the other poster's remarks were indeed stunning, which they were.

See how easy it is, once we remove the veil of deception and intimidation that has been placed over Creditnet?

17. too much

too much Banned

It took you a lot of words to express all that anger toward me.

I wonder what it is that has gotten you so angry? Maybe the fact that some of the points I make ring true in your own life?

You cannot borrow your way out of debt. Still, you try.

For being a "RichGuy," you sure do have a lot of Poor Problems.

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=67795#post67795

Maybe if you stopped trying to argue moot points, you might learn something that allows you to get out of your current situation.

Poor people are poor for one reason: Lack of knowledge.

18. RichGuy

Re: What Kind of Advice

Sorry, I hadn't noticed those points you mentioned. All I noticed was your harassment of people who DO make good points.

As for anger, it usually resides in the people who claim to find it everywhere. Can you say, or spell, "projection?" My analysis of you was absolutely accurate, and any anger must have originated in you after I demonstrated that your malicious comments have no power over reality.

As for your trying to intimidate me by referring to my financial situation, that is absolutely pathetic. The purpose of this board is to help people with financial problems. And incidentally, NOT to provide you with the fun of jeering at them.

When I broke my arm and caught pneumonia, that was NOT for lack of the "knowledge" you claim to possess. Natural causes intrude even on the lives of rational people. Perhaps on your own life, too. Behind your malicious game, there must be a life...right?

In the book of Proverbs, there is a condemnation of people who trip the blind, curse the deaf, and mock the poor. Your ugly reference to my "Poor Problems" puts you squarely in that category. You are absolutely pathetic, even if you don't owe a cent to anyone.

19. too much

too much Banned

Re: Re: What Kind of Advice

Your ID and approach indicates that you wish to have financial freedom and some degree of wealth. However, your approach almost certainly ensures that you will never acheive those goals.

Running around in circles, chasing your tail, is exactly what the bankers want you to do. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll be on your way to financial freedom.

No one has ever accomplished financial independence by paying attention to their FICO score, or by trying to get as many CC's as possible. It's a pointless endeavour.

That was the point I was making when I wrote the post.

Grammar and diction criticisim is the last refuge of someone who cannot defend their argument. Spare me the attempt.

20. RichGuy

Re: What Kind of Advice

Typical spoiled rich kid.

You throw out your lazy innuendos whenever you have the urge, then sneer at detailed discussion because your "knowledge" can supposedly be communicated in a word or two.

You mock people who try to help other people, then demand to be spared any criticism of your own hasty posts.

Like I said, your phony on-screen persona is the product of artificial selection. CN management gives you free rein, but would censor anyone who responded to you in kind. Your whole phony act could never survive an environment of genuine free discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.