What kind of advice are we giving?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by galabar, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. too much

too much Banned

Re: Re: What Kind of Advice

I'm not a "spoiled rich kid." I'm a grown adult who has, through patience and persistence, built my own financial independence.

I could care less what CN management thinks of my posts. If they cannot see that I'm trying to provide some common-sense advice here, and not just a rubber stamp on stupidity, they can ban me from the site.

People come here for advice on credit issues. Too many "experts" here are nothing more than credit junkies who want to have company on the ship of despair.

2. CCN steve

CCN steve Moderator

Re: Re: What Kind of Advice

During the past eight months, and overall since this board's inception eight years ago, we have established what I hope is a solid track record with respect to the free expression of ideas. Certainly censorship does not help a community to define itself, and any belief system worth its salt should stand up to a thoughtful challenge. Toward that end, Creditnet does not ban participants simply because they articulate pro-creditor views which run counter to the predominant consumer activist message we hope to foster. Indeed, the approach we favor is often anti-creditor, simply because so many creditors routinely and reflexively abuse consumers. These are difficult, and sometimes contradictory, values to uphold. Regardless, there is a line between espousing a contradictory view and setting oneself up to disrupt and harass others. When dissention evidences an undeniable pattern of harassment which remains consistent over time, that line is irrevocably crossed.

Although pro-creditor views are sometimes helpful and tolerated and provide grist for debate and learning, anti-member views benefit no one. Equating financial difficulty with immorality or stupidity is not only incorrect on its face but does nothing to encourage the sense of community we hope to foster and, perhaps less importantly, violates our Terms of Service. So, for example, advising others to live within their means is certainly acceptable; while highlighting postings related to financial trouble with an eye toward contempt and ridicule is certainly not.

Unfortunately I am honor-bound not to discuss actions taken regarding any participant(s) today, since we believe that even former members are due a measure of the respect they did not show others.

CCN steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.