What service are you using to regularly check credit reports?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JoshuaHeckathorn, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

$18 a month for EQ Complete Advantage is probably your best option. As Jason pointed out, Eq's credit monitoring services are among the best-reviewed, and low cost. ...the former being more important IMO.

If there is some sort of promo, like you stated the rep told you; Google it, find it or get it in writing. I know nothing of that particular promotion, but if it's true, take advantage. Like I said, if you're actively working on your credit, go for the plan with unlimited pulls of your score (gives discounts on future pulls of TU and EX reports & scores as well to check scores on those reports) and when you're at a point where you're happy with your reports, scale back to the CW 3-in-1 monitoring plan and save the $5 a month.

2. Heather L

Heather L Well-Known Member

I have reviewed many client's credit reports on Equifax.com. I have found that the website is difficult to navigate through to review the specific items on your credit report. Thanks! Heather with BoostMyScore.NET

3. mijd

mijd Well-Known Member

Heather, I agree. Last month I tried to logon to my Equifax acct and was denied. The site didn't recognize my user ID or password.t I used the option to retrieve my password and entered my email address which was "not found" in Equifax's records. The next option was to enter in my SS#, Date of Birth and zip code and again was denied. (no matching records found). My last option was to re-register.... too hard to explain in this post..... it was a glitch on Equifax's website. I tried all this two days in a row and had the same results.
    I called Equifax, explained my situation to a man who I couldn't understand. He was very accommodating trying to sell me the monthly credit monitoring service, ( I said no thanks) then all three CA reports (again I said no) and finally just one report from Equifax. He sent me a user id and password via email and charged my CC $39.95 which is almost double what I paid 2 months prior. Not a very good experience at all.

4. samira1973

samira1973 Well-Known Member

well,well
    Equifax send me email offering me $ 2.00 off per month for EQ Complete Advantage Credit Report so it going to be 15.95 a month.
    What you think I should jump on this deal guys ?
    Thanks for advice

5. Kameleon

Kameleon Well-Known Member

Samira,
    I was reading through the post and was about to tell you to wait they will send you a promo offer to re-join with $2 off...... and BAM that's exactly what happened....

I cancelled the gold because i discovered i could not see any changes in my score with the other EQ plans...but i researched again and then got the Complete advantage with the $2 off because it was a good deal and gave my the scores so i can track improvements i needed to deal with ON EQUIFAX SPECIFICALLY...

Here's why i say specifically:
    No one talks about this much but what is the point of paying extra for unlimited pulls from EQ and getting unlimited scores for EQ if your EQ credit report has 7 Negative items where as your Trans Union and Experian reports have 33!...Just keep in mind "what" you want to be monitoring, because if your spending time & money cleaning up T.U. and Exp. reports first you would be paying extra for extra services that would really NOT be helping you at the current moment... If you have reports from all 3 bureaus look and see which agency has the most negative items on it, or which credit report you most want to focus on then look at which credit monitoring service you can pay more for those extra features...

My plan is to use this service to help clean and work on what is on my EQ report (the most damaging stuff) then switch to a different credit monitoring company that more closely monitors what i need to work on next on T.U. or EXP. ... hope this makes sense to you.

so yes i would take that offer if cleaning up EQ is your main concern

The only downside is:
    1) That you can't get updated credit reports for experian & trans union without paying more....or waiting 12 months.

Example: i got an alert from EQ today about an agency that made and inquiry on my Experian credit report (since they monitor all 3 Reporting agencies). This is a great service, however i don't know if it was a hard/soft inquiry and without a new credit report from Experian i'm left to figure that out on my own... if the inquiry was on Equifax i would get the alert and be able to pull a new report to see right away what damages were done....

6. mindcrime

You made some good points Kam, I'd just like to add this:

After you receive notice of investigation results of dispute (regardless of CRA), I have been able to log in (user ID and PW self created) and results come in the form of updated credit report. I only subscribe to one monitoring service, and I am referencing the other two CRA's here. The user ID's I created were result of initial disputes through each CRA after annual free report was pulled from each (I don't know if that makes a difference).

7. samira1973

Thanks so much that is good advice. To be anest with you I am geting or thinking to get it because I just want to monitor my report and just to get an idea about my score even just from equifax.I do not have a lot of things to fix on Equifax or on any other credit berau my bejust one thing right now so saying that I still do not know if I need to pay that much just to monitor and keep track of my score ? I am paying right now 9.95 with CreditKeeper for the last 3 years, but I don't like them as much I use too.I am thinking to cancel and go with Equifax, but if I could I would like to pull all the 3 credit report, but that it going to cost a lot every month. I don't realy kow what to do just to track what going on on my credit report and just to get idea about my score that all I want.
    Thanks

8. mindcrime

I don't know about you, but I happen to like spending my hard earned money on monitoring someone who reports my personal information with reckless abandon.

9. samira1973

Well on the USAA Website to see if I want to enroll ,but I do not see where it saying or allowed you to daily pulls from all the 3 beraus it saying monthly report, but every body saying you can get daily pulls
    I checked 12.95 month and 17.95 month none of those to saying daily pulls .

Those any bodyhave the service that you do daily pulls and if yes can you guid me where or to get it ??
    Thanks

10. samira1973

I just want to know if EliminateIDTheft do monitor any changes on you credit report and send you alert to your email ?

The reason I am asking it because I had late payment reported,but I never got any alerts.

Thanks

11. jmc912

jmc912 Well-Known Member

Samira, I don't think they send you an email. They do have a section where you can see alerts once you login, and you can see all of your alerts, but I don't think there is a setting where they email you. I think you just have to keep logging in and checking daily. So far I haven't been too impressed with EliminateIDTheft... The reports haven't been 100% accurate with the 3 CRAs and some things report strangely on there.

12. samira1973

Well that sucks that I have to loging all the time. Do you still use them or did you move somewhere us.
    Thanks

13. jmc912

jmc912 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try it out for the rest of the month since I already paid it... I'm considering changing services after that though. I haven't been that impressed. It's kind of a hassle to login all the time!

14. jmc912

jmc912 Well-Known Member

I got something in the mail today that confirmed why I'm skeptical about EliminateIDTheft....

A few weeks ago I had disputed something with TransUnion (a bank account that someone opened in my name). I got it taken off of Equifax and Experian last month. So today I got a letter in the mail from TransUnion and it says that they deleted that trade line off of my credit report. The credit report/letter that I got today is dated 4/15... Today is 4/23 and that item is still listed on my reports on EliminateIDTheft when they supposedly pull every day. I don't think it would take that long to report to them.

Also signed up at Credit Sesame (it's free), and it says my husband's score with Experian is 692, where EliminateID says his Experian is 553. Strange that there is such a big gap.

15. namvet

namvet New Member

I use USAA to monitor my reports.

16. Kameleon

THIS ^^^
    Anyone know?

I also see that USAA monitors all 3 CRA' in their premium service which is $12.95... that thing thats throwing me off is the 30 day in stead of daily pulls.

Anyone know about or used "trusted ID" https://www.trustedid.com/registration.php?step=1

17. Logan Abbott

Logan Abbott Well-Known Member

I don't have experience w/ them; here's a review courtesy of About.com. Probably won't help much, if you're considering enrolling it might be worth a read: TrustedID

18. Kameleon

Grr.. OKay folks. so.....
    USAA no long has 24 -hour pulls on the premium service @ $12.95...
    Just got off the phone with them and they DO have a unlimited pulls every 24hours, But that service is $22.95.. =(

I guess i could do the backdoor method but anyone know of a cheaper way to get at all 3 FAKO scores.. Right now i get EQ Score (EQ CMS) , TU (from Karma), (no idea about how i'm doing at EX)...

i'm so itching to find a way to track progress.

19. jmc912

jmc912 Well-Known Member

Okay Kameleon thanks for bringing this thread back up.... I read my posts and am retracting my statements.

EliminateIDTheft is awesome.... the only reason I thought it wasn't is my fault!! I didn't realize you had to manually click a button for a new report every 24 hours (I thought it was automatic)... Boy did I feel dumb when I noticed that button. Ever since I've been updating it it's been 100% accurate for both myself and my husband. DUH!

The cheapest I've found and best is EIDT but check out this thread on MyFico it details all of the services available.

Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide - myFICO® Forums

20. Kameleon