What should I do? (long)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CASPER72, Jul 19, 2001.

1. CASPER72

CASPER72 Well-Known Member

I would like to start repairing my credit(which I have). I have a cc that I pay on time every month but only got 3 months ago. And have a truck loan that I pay. My question is that I have 10 of my 13 negatives on one report that should drop off between 4-2002 and 6-2003. I am wondering if I should go ahead and dispute these items cuz they are mine. Or should I wait and let them drop off? Some are ones that are chargeoffs but are paid in full. But I have 3 that are charge offs but not paid.

Ethically I would like to pay all my bills but I dont want to pay these and have them on my CR for another 7 yrs since I would like to start looking for a house to purchase.

Any help you could give me would be great!!!!

Thank you for your time!!

Casper 72

2. jzilla

jzilla Well-Known Member

Personally, I would dispute them. Being that close to the drop of date, they might come off with just one round. Seems to me that the older these things are, the easier they are to get rid of.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

What I have (incl bk) are the same dates you mentioned. I think you should dispute. As jzilla said, some may come off on their own and some may not..but everyone you get off is that much better!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Paying your old credit debts will not make them stay on your credit report another 7 years. They can only stay on 7 years from the date you defaulted or never again made a payment. This is the same as the charge off dates. That remains 7 years for reporting no matter what.

HOWEVER! If you pay the debt you may restart the SOL clock. This is the timeframe that the creditor has to collect from you. If you are looking for a house before 2003, you will have to pay these off anyway. I wouldn't waste time paying any old debts unless you know you are gonna buy a house before they drop off your credit reports. If not, wait it out. Paying them WILL NOT help your credit score at all.

So what I am suggesting is for you to NOT Pay but first dispute. Then after you dispute and nothing or only a few come off then start calling these people and start negotiating payment for deletion. Then of those who want make a deal with you then I would think about paying them for a mortgage. By the time you do all that it will probably be 2002 anyway...lol.

This takes time. Patience is key. This board is always hear for you to ask questions as you go thru each phase of credit repair. All of us here have been in your shoes and CAn and WILL walk you thru it. What do you think of all this?