what to do next for validation?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DMYZ, Sep 30, 2003.

1. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

I posted a longer story about this but I want to make this short and sweet for people...

-I recieved a notice from a CA
    -I sent a request for validation
    -they sent me back a print out of charges and payments
    -they didnt include the OC address, original contract, the CA liscence number and the amount of the printout adds up to less than they claim I owe

What should I do next?
    tell them they havent actually validated the debt?
    In my letter I accidentally asked them to verify the debt not validate, have I left something open?
    have they screwed up enough that I can just ignore them now?

This is an interesting part of the process that I havent found much advice for
    your supposed to ask a CA to validate but Im not sure what one should typically do when the CA makes incomplete attempt at validating

thanks for all reponses

2. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

Is the printout from the ca's computers or, from the oc's computers?

3. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

I cant tell who printed it out
    theres no heading or anything
    it just says things like date, trans ID, cust ID, ANI (my phone number) and amounts

4. keepmine

5. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

well besides that theres no original contract, the print out doesnt say where it originated

so what should I do next? wait?
    what do you think the CA intends to do?
    maybe I should write and tell the CA what I would need exactly

or how about this, if I wait and they sue they wont have a case because they havent validated the debt, or will they if they have the original contract etc and they just didnt send it to me
    in the meantime if they move ahead with any collection process wouldnt that be a violation since they havent actually satisfied the validation requirements?

6. keepmine

This is a bump for someone with a better idea but, I wouldn't tell them what I wanted for validation. They may just find it!

7. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

so in the meantime they cant pull out additional stuff they never sent me if this goes to court and what they sent me already doesnt qualify as anything I need to react to?

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*In my letter I accidentally asked them to verify the debt not validate, have I left something open?
    2*Im not sure what one should typically do when the CA makes an incomplete attempt at validating.
    3*maybe I should write and tell the CA what I would need exactly
    4*or how about this, if I wait and they sue they wont have a case because they havent validated the debt,
    5*or will they if they have the original contract etc and they just didnt send it to me
    6*in the meantime if they move ahead with any collection process wouldnt that be a violation since they havent actually satisfied the validation requirements?
    DMYZ
    -------------------------
    7*This is a bump for someone with a better idea but, I wouldn't tell them what I wanted for validation. They may just find it!
    keepmine
    -------------------------
    ========================
    1* Depends on what you said in your letter.
    2*Keep things on track by not letting their bs de rail you.
    3*Would you call a hit man and tell him how to rub you out?
    4*How do you know they won't or don't have?
    5*Will they what?
    6*Shure would.
    7*O K all you Fords.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

9. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

Im just going to try and ask the same thing in a different way...

so far they have not validated the debt
    they might have the info to do this but they havent shared it with me
    if they take me to court and present enough info to validate it at that point is there any chance they can win the case even though they didnt share the complete info with me when I requested it

10. lbrown59

*95 to 99% of the time CAs can't validate so I think you are trying to cross the bridge before you get to the river.

11. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

yeah Im just trying to figure it out so I know what to do from this point

I think Ive decided to wait
    If the CA contacts with me with more info Ill take it from there
    but if the CA sues me Ill show the court the info which Ive recieved already which doesnt validate anything and even if the CA can validate in court I guess they wouldnt have much because they shouldve validated when I asked them to, if anything taking me to court would be a violation because they would be bascially moving ahead with collection activities before they validated

12. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

WXYZ Collection Agency
    10 GonnaGetYou Drive
    Anytown, USA
    Account: 1234567XXXX
    Name: DMYZ
    Address: 123 Any Street
    Anothertown, USA
    01/15/2001 Charge Store ABC $ 100.00
    02/02/2001 Interest $ 4.00
    02/08/2001 Payment $- 25.00
    02/17/2001 Charge Store DEF $ 100.00
    03/02/2001 Interest $ 7.00
    03/17/2001 Payment $- 25.00
    03/17/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    04/15/2001 Interest $ 9.00
    04/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    04/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00
    05/15/2001 Interest $ 12.00
    05/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    05/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00
    06/15/2001 Interest $ 15.00
    06/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    06/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00
    07/15/2001 Interest $ 17.00
    07/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    07/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00
    08/15/2001 Interest $ 19.00
    08/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    08/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00
    09/15/2001 Interest $ 22.00
    09/15/2001 Late Payment Fee $ 29.00
    09/15/2001 Overlimit Fee $ 25.00

You owe me money, this is an attempt to extort cash from you,
    mini-miranda type stuff here.

I've sent you this to show you that anyone with a PC can come up with a printout like the one the collection agency sent you, but it really doesn't validate. You need to demand proper validation, look for the "Letter to send for improper validation" You don't need to let them know what you are expecting, just let them know that it isn't proper validation. Don't assume they're going to sue you, even if they have tried to imply that in their phone calls or letters. Also check to see if the dates put it within the SOL for your state. If all they have is the printout, there isn't any judge in the world who would rule in their favor, and keep your paper trail showing that you've requested they validate the debt, and that you gave them a second chance to get the correct information to you. The proper validation they MUST send you will come directly from the original creditor.

They currently have the defence of "The consumer asked for validation, and we sent it" so until you've clearly informed them that they didn't properly validate, they can right now resume collection activity. Now after you inform them they didn't valiate, then collection activities must ceace. If they have been calling you on the phone, you can use that to your advantage, by answering the phone if they call once you've recieved the green card back. Instant $1,000 violation (don't tell them they violated and are liable for lawsuit, just take very good notes on who called, the date and time of the call, and then get the call cut short)

Just a thought.

ChrisB

13. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: what to do next for validat

Filing a lawsuit isn't considered a violation, but I doubt any CA is going to file a lawsuit if the only proof they have is a printout from their computer.

But see from my above post, the CA is currently under the impression that they validated your debt to you, and would be well within their legal rights to resume collection activities. That legal right would stop if you sent them a second validation request, showing that their first attempt was not valid. Then they must again cease all collection activity until proper validation is presented. If they then contact the OC and get you what would be considered proper validation (legible copy of original contract / application, full detail of all charges and payments) then you're stuck there. Also if they are claiming an amount owed that is anything above what the balance is based on their printouts, which might imply they are attempting to charge interest or additional fees, they better be prepaired to provide an origina contract which shows you agreed to those fees. Without an original contract signed by you agreeing to those after charge off fees, they'll have a tough time in court.

BTW, are we talking about several thousand, or just a few hundred?

ChrisB

14. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

we're talking about $1,000

thanks for the ideas I'm processing it all

15. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

Hey Chris, thanks again
    I'm still looking for a sample letter for responding to improper validation though.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Also since my last post the CA called my house 2x and left messages for me to return their call.

16. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

On September , 2003 I sent you a letter in response to the two collection letters you sent. In my letter I requested that you verify the debt you claim I owe.
    In return, on October , 2003, you mailed me a printout of charges that does not properly validate the debt in question. Following this you resumed collection activities by calling my house two times on October 8, 2003, claiming you were an â??investigatorâ?.
    Once again I am requesting that you properly validate the alleged debt. Do not contact me again unless you wish to take this final opportunity to validate by mailing me the necessary information. Do not call me again.

How does that look?

17. lbrown59

18. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

bump

19. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

20. DMYZ

DMYZ Active Member

yeah I dont think I want to let him know what he did wrong
    most importantly the print out doesnt add up to what he says I owe and theres no explanation of extra fees and no original contract